ABS SENSOR ON HONDA ACCORD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a Honda Accord aerodeck 1994. The problem is that the ABS sensor light is staying on, and have been told one of the wheel sensor's is not working, after being tested. I have also been told that if one sensor goes it's best to replace both (new) which would be very expensive, then was told to get a used one, which would counteract the problem of having to put two new one's on. Also cleaning the contacts can sometimes work. :cry: As much as I appreciate help from friends none of them has experience of this, so is there anyone on here who has and is able to help me. The brakes are working ok.
Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you only need to replace the faulty one. they are really expensive from dealer (around 150 if i mind right). have you had the fault codes read? you could try unplugging the sensors and reconnecting them as a bad connection is not uncommon on this car.

by the way, if its the sensor thats held in with 2 bolts, best of luck getting them out without breaking. plenty of Plusgas (or WD40) methinks.

edit: forgot to say i regularly fit second hand ones to hondas, due to the price! works fine.

you only need to replace the faulty one. they are really expensive from dealer (around 150 if i mind right). have you had the fault codes read? you could try unplugging the sensors and reconnecting them as a bad connection is not uncommon on this car.

by the way, if its the sensor thats held in with 2 bolts, best of luck getting them out without breaking. plenty of Plusgas (or WD40) methinks.

edit: forgot to say i regularly fit second hand ones to hondas, due to the price! works fine.

Thanks for your time. Yes have had the codes read it' saying the sensor, will be trying connection first, if no joy then will replace with used one and as you say loads of WD.

Sponsored Links
it could be possible that an under wheel arch connection has moisture ingress and corroded contacts, worth pulling them apart and sraying some wd40 in there. The sensors can be tested with an electrical multimeter if you need to, its also worth having a look while your under there at the pick up ring which can also corrode badly leading to faulty sensor readings

I think the post above is paricularly valuable - the drive shaft end has a gear type toothed wheel fixed to it.....when it passes the ABS sensor, the sensor detects that the shaft is spinning due to magnetism. Often these wheels are clooged with road crap or rust, so clean them up as best you can, then look for severed wiring leading to the sensors. If that doesn't put the lamp out, I'm afraid its time to call in the ABS artillery unfortunately.
Less scrupulous people take the dash buld out and say nowt :p
John :)

My '96 Accord has ABS and problems (think of all the agreements of the fifth generation have serious problems with ABS). I also started a thread to replace my ABS modulator.

But in your case, you should pull the DTC codes first. You do not need to spend $ 60 to get the codes for free. It is a blue two-pin connector behind the cab service, just jumper the two son, turn the key to "ON" and count the flashing ABS to get your code.

There is a wealth of information on ABS on this forum, just do a search and you will find the code numbers and their definitions.

Good luck.

Back