Starting Honda.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.2 1994 Estate, has started every time first turn for years had a problem about a year ago woudn't start, AA came out foot to floor started first time, AA said it happens with Hondas where it seem's to flood on rare occcasions. Well it appears that the problem has started again with avengance :evil: Replace plugs, air filter was good, still seem to have same problem when cold, but not every day. Put new plugs Monday was ok, Tuesday ok, today Wednesday won't fire, could it be the automatic choke, has anyone had one of these Hondas with the same problem, your thoughts and advice on it please. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Hello again - still having some bother :confused:
Considering the age of your car and the fact that they are normally good starters, I'd be considering replacing the distributor cap, rotor arm and HT leads I think.
Dealer parts would be very expensive, so have a scout around the motor factors before diving in.
Fuel injected cars don't have an automatic choke - they have an enrichment device that allows more fuel to be injected into the cylinders. Only expect this fault if there is fuel smell at the exhaust pipe and black smoke for a second or two plus rough running when it eventually fires up.
John :)

Hi Burnerman, yup it's me again!! As you say good starters and has been such a good car don't want to get rid, it's better the devil you know. Thanks for getting back, no fuel smells that Iv'e noticed nor black smoke or rough running, it's just frustating when one day ok next day won't start.

Sponsored Links
I would think that there will be a certain amount of debris under the distributor cap, but I hope a new unit isn't necessary!
The rotor arm, cap and HT leads do start to deteriorate with age.

I would think that there will be a certain amount of debris under the distributor cap, but I hope a new unit isn't necessary!
The rotor arm, cap and HT leads do start to deteriorate with age.

Often a new unit was necessary unfortunately as the shaft bush was worn which meant the arm rattled around causing sensor noise and non starting :cry:

That does ring a bell somewhere.....had a few early Corolla's with this.
Maybe BB's motor hasn't done a million miles.

I'd get that nice AA man back, he seems to have the "touch".

Failing that as the guys say its probably the bush on the main distributor shaft that has failed. Common fault on the older 2.0L VTEC engine.

It tears itself apart if the bush goes.

Dare I say not unlike the distributor found on the Rover 600

Does engine fire up,then run for a few seconds then dies OR just turns over normally not firing OR sounds different when cranking( Your original post mentioned you thought cambelt may have gone) OR when it does fire up is it gradually increasing revs or just run normally?

Hi Kilovolt. no it wasn't the cam belt although at one point the turn over did sound faster although not heard that since, when it did start it ran perfectly normal. As said before one day would start and run perfectly well, next day nothing and that was repeated for a while but now turns over but does not fire. Will be looking at the distributor tomorrow as suggested. Will update when looked at, thank you all for your time, it's appreciated.

Took off the distributor cap and at first glance through hole in dust cap I thought it looked new inside, took out screw securing rotor arm but was unable to remove the arm, didn't want to force in case it broke, on further inspection of the cap there was some oil resting at it's lowest point, enough to make a small puddle, appeared to have been there for some time as sediment was stuck to the cap where the oil had been laying. :?: Also the terminal on the rotor was pitted as were the terminals on the cap, so cleaned them and the inside of cap, put back together with fingers crossed and turned the engine over it fired first time, had switch on and off during a run around all good so far. First thing in the morning over the next few days will know if the problem is solved. Anyone thoughts on oil in cap :?: Thanks again to you all for your input.

I think that on an engine of this age, a small amount of oil coming past the seal is quite likely...naturally enough, there shouldn't be a deluge, so check it from time to time.
Leave the rotor arm alone, unless you intend to replace it - you can clean the contact in situ.
Fingers crossed for the fix!

Hi John, did start first time, so left to run for about five mins turned off and went to start again would not start it was that fast turn over again (like cam belt broke) :evil: So left for about five mins tried again foot to floor and it started :?: it's just baffling me, so decided to replace distributor cap and leads, but not rotor as said before could not get off and see what happens, but can't get parts till Tuesday.

That fast turning on the starter sounds as though the valves are sticking open.

Obviously you change the oil regularly?

Sponsored Links
Back