Accidentally ran lighting with switch cable. Now what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am refurbing my kitchen and had the ceilings down so ran some cable for a new kitchen feed, and downlighters from a reel left by the previous homeowner. I have now boarded and plastered the ceiling.

I just pulled the cable through the first downlighter hole and noticed it has two browns which I guess means it was a reel of switch cable. I have two sets of 8 downlighters each and an external light fed with this blooming cable so not best pleased!

I dont have a continuity tester handy right now and need to get some light on so can I just wire into the CU and then wire up a JB for the first set of downlighters and if it trips I have mixed up L and N. So swap them over then, test OK then wire up second JB for other lights and see if that trips, and then repeat for the external light.

Sponsored Links
Not sure which part of the UK you are in, but are you aware of the notification laws in England and Wales, regarding kitchens?
Also are you aware that cables should be correctly identified?
Also are you aware that there are set procedures that must be carried out before energising a new circuit, which involves dead tests and live tests?

i had a sparx changed my CU last month as well wire in a new kitchen ring main. I had ceilings down and ran the cable as per his instructions and replastered this week. He is coming back to terminate all connections and issue my part P after his hols but I need some light in the kitchen area until he does.

I have done a fair bit of wiring in the past before part P but know my limitations.

Doubt he'll sign it off with those cables in.

One way or another I reckon they'll have to be replaced with the correct colours.

Sponsored Links
Those sparkies, just where do they get the time to be on holiday and leave you with no light!
or is it just the same one that seems to be always on their hols?

Thanks Pete for a constructive reply. I don't want to trouble sparx while he is away. Do you think sleeving identification at all terminals is acceptable?

Not much help to determine which are the switch drops but regarding the downlighter links.
Assuming the cable was cut off the same one coil and there are no other identyfying features to the cores

Look for the word BASEC usually stamped on one side of the cable only,
Now looking at the letter "A" assume the "A" is pointing to the core you want to call your Live core,
Now at every cut end that will be the same core throughout

BS7671 States every core shall be identified at it's termination and "preferably" though out it's length.
Sleeves used for ID purposes should comply to BS3858 where appropriate.

BS7671 States every core shall be identified at it's termination and "preferably" though out it's length.
Sleeves used for ID purposes should comply to BS3858 where appropriate.
Preferably is the key word here....strapping wires for 2 way lighting isn't identifiable throughout its length and more often than not it isn't sleeved at the terminations either.

I can't see how sleeving the wires wouldn't be acceptable.

Cheers.

Blue sleeving at the terminations and it's compliant.
OK, it's not ideal but there's no problem sleeving a blue conductor with brown sleeving for switch wire purposes.

Use heat shrink so it can't fall off.

I did a job recently that was wired in all red. It was a fking nightmare.

I just pulled the cable through the first downlighter hole and noticed it has two browns which I guess means it was a reel of switch cable. I have two sets of 8 downlighters each and an external light fed with this blooming cable so not best pleased!
Funny how things go wrong when you don't do them properly, isn't it?

I dont have a continuity tester handy right now
Why not?

Anything else you haven't got?

Screwdrivers for example?

so can I just wire into the CU and then wire up a JB for the first set of downlighters and if it trips I have mixed up L and N. So swap them over then, test OK then wire up second JB for other lights and see if that trips, and then repeat for the external light.
What a stupid idea.

No.

I had ceilings down and ran the cable as per his instructions
He told you to run twin brown, did he?

I don't think so.

He is coming back to terminate all connections and issue my part P after his hols
Yeah, of course he is. :rolleyes:

but I need some light in the kitchen area until he does.
So we'll take it that the answer to this:

Also are you aware that there are set procedures that must be carried out before energising a new circuit, which involves dead tests and live tests?
is "No, I don't have a clue about any of that".

I have done a fair bit of wiring in the past before part P but know my limitations.
I think you've just found out that they are more extensive than you thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back