Accuracy of Vaillant vSmart internet temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I am thinking about replacing
My Vailant VRC470 with a Vaillant vSmart controller but I am concerned that the WC I have at the moment using a sensor on the north face of my property is far more accurate than the general weather data derived from the internet that the vSmart uses.
Am I correct in this concern?
Should I keep the VRC470?
Is there a way to connect the sensor I already have to the vSmart?
It seems to be a bit of a step back by Vaillant in making their newer products a lot less accurate than their older products.
Advice from those a lot more knowledgeable than I gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Not an expert by any means but your outside weather compensator unit will be more accurate. Instead of reading an internet temp for your area (Vsmart), your existing set up will give a reading for outside your property. So more accurate but probably not a lot in it. If it is working properly I wouldn't bother changing it. In the process of swapping my VRC 470 for the newer VRC 700f. My outside unit is knackered. Other options you might want to consider are Hive and Nest. Hive doesn't take outside readings, not sure about Nest.
Another thing to remember is that you will need an ac outlet near your boiler if you opt for Vsmart as it needs to be plugged in.

Last edited:
I was also looking at the VRC700 but I cant find out if it has smart home features such as working with IFTTT etc.
vSmart does but not sure about the VRC700.
That would be the perfect solution if it did as it also has a physical weather sensor and an app.

I had a new Vaillant boiler installed 15 months ago using my old switching stats and time controls. I found the new boiler tended to run flat out to reach temperature and seemed to over do it sometimes, so I picked up a new / old stock VRC470 plus outdoor sensor to completely replace my old controls. For years I have had a fairly accurate weather station logging and posting its data. What I notice is that both tend to agree on local temperature, which can often be at odds with the Met Office temperature reports by several degrees. I also notice temperatures can change quite rapidly here, by several degrees.

Since installing, the wild fluctuations in room temperature have stopped and the boiler now never seems to run flat out, it just gently modulates.

Sponsored Links
We have a weather station in our garden, and the temperature used by the vSmart can sometimes be a couple of degrees different. I'm no expert, but I can't see that's going to make a huge difference in the general scheme of things. As it is, our heating system seems to be working just fine on the basis of the Internet temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back