ACS GAS ASSESMENT

Suggest you read page 14 of the unsafe situations book forth edition then tell me what you think is closest to the regs .
But if you want it to be B you would have to rephrase your question

Sponsored Links
But if you want it to be B you would have to rephrase your question

Thats another problem with some ACS questions! They are not obviously phrased around any particular regulation.

To someone like me who fixes boilers its pretty irrelevant when teaching a trainee a question like:-

Which BS covers the amount of silicone grease you put on a flue seal when assembling the flue parts?

A. BS 6902

B BS 9602

C. BS 2096

D. BS 2609

Clearly questions like this are pretty irrelevant to practical gas work and are just designed to confuse.

More relevant is "Do you use a BS Test Finger to put silicone grease on the flue seals?"

Tony

We are talking exam questions here so.

You are missing one of the main points of the ACS exam. The reason why questions like that arre put in is to get you reading the BOOK so you don`t make the mistake of thinking you are right purely by what you think it should be. Which your last example question and answer clearly show you do.
Perhaps you should supply your trainees with the appropriate books and then they would learn what is correct and not what you perceive to be correct ,before they drop a boll#ck. And suggest you read it to.

Sponsored Links
The viper manual is a very useful tool.

I agree with wms, I bought the Viper "work books"

OK perhaps at sixty one I might be expected to know enough not to need these books.

But what I found was that they were an excelent refresher on how to look up info that I needed to decide on the correct answer and so get through the ACS.

I bought £90 worth, more moduels than I needed for CCN1 and four appliances.

However the extra ones like LPG, comersial CCN1 equiverlent, and some others, allow me to keep my brain reasonably up to date with gas stuff I don't do in my everyday gas work and so give me an awareness of things that strictly speaking are outside my competencies in Basingstokes eyes,

but would I hope draw to my attention to a potentialy dangerous fault on something I may come across during my working day.

Its a pity CORGI don't realise that the ACS modules have grown like the saucerers broom.

Tim

I've not been on here for donkeys. Partly due to being busy a while back and more lately to being out of action due to illness. I am considering a new career but that's another story for another time. Its been so long in fact, I forgot my password and when I tried to reclaim it, the email account I had used all that time ago when I signed up, is now redundant so I've had to sign up for a nice brand new sparkly account oooow!

But.... some things never change. The OPs question was:

Got my ACS - first test next week, reading like mad, anyone know if theres any online tutorials? (Like questions, tips etc)

Thank you

And I thought, like a few of you on here, Viper, The BG Issued Book (rare as hen's teeth like), Obviously the British Standards Book etc etc. So some like minded responses. But I couldn't help chuckle at the bickering that went on between some members. Which, in my opinion, didn't really answer the lads question. You may come back at me and suggest that you were merely pointing out the 'holes' in the exams but its not REALLY what he asked....

To my knowledge, you won't get any 'online' tutorials mate. And to be honest, i wouldn't trust something 'online' unless it was put together by someone like Viper etc. You could be reading any old tat. You need to make sure you are up to speed with the British Standards. You DO NOT have to know the book by heart. You have got time to look up certain references but you will NOT have time to look up ALL references. It is not as bad as you think its going to be. These things never are.... unless you have done zero preparation then you will struggle. Try to stay calm. Take a bottle of water with you. The brain doesn't like being dehydrated. If your exam is early, make sure you have breakfast. It may sound like tosh but you need the fuel to concentrate. As some of the lads have said, don't spend ages on one question. If you really cannot get it right in your head then go back to it. If you go back to some questions and you still cannot work them out then go for a certain answer such as A and remember you answered your 'guessed' questions with A. This will possibly help you in your resit as then you know its not A this time ;)

Hope that helps. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back