Adaptor to make printer wifi or bluetooth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing?
I have a Canon Pixima IP3600 colour printer (I have lots of inks so do not want to change it).
Can i buy a dongle so I can connect this using wifi/bluetooth to my laptop.
I currently have to turn the PC on & use the PC as a server.
The connection to the printer is a 'D' shape plug that goes to usb on the PC, so I assume I would plug something into a floating cable.

I see things like as follows but do not know if they will work.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=108546
and
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=111515

Sponsored Links
Have a google for wireless USB print server.

That can turn out to be quite an expensive way to go - sometimes the cheaper print servers just don't work at all well.

In my experience, the best way to go is often to replace the wireless router with one which has a usb port or two on board, then cable the printer straight to the router and share it wirelessly from there. Of course, you may already have a USB port on the router you have - in which case you're in business.

Even if this means re-locating the router I've always found it easier and cheaper to run long phone cables under carpets and round skirting boards from ADSL socket to router, than to run long USB cables from printer to router.

Sponsored Links
...and if my experience with a Belkin printer server, is anything to go by - it won't work.

Make sure your printer is compatible with the product and that you can get a refund if you can't get it to work!

I recently purchased the TP-Link TL-WPS510U Wireless Print Server to use with my Samsung ML1660 printer. It comes with a mini-CD to install the software to configure the print server, and, once configured and the port set up in the printer driver, it worked, and is still working. I needed it because my router is downstairs, and the printer upstairs, and it was too much of a job to run a phone extension upstairs!

In my experience, the best way to go is often to replace the wireless router with one which has a usb port or two on board, then cable the printer straight to the router and share it wirelessly from there. Of course, you may already have a USB port on the router you have - in which case you're in business.
whathesaidsmiley.gif

And next time buy a printer with a network port.

I needed it because my router is downstairs, and the printer upstairs, and it was too much of a job to run a phone extension upstairs!

Bit of a grind having to run upstairs whenever you print something off though. Did you not think of putting the printer in the same room as the computer?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe it is.

Plan C - next time you upgrade keep your old system as a print server.

To claify (for BAS and joinerjohn)
My main PC and the printer are in the office upstairs. I use my laptop downstairs, in the main, as it's more comfortable slouching in an easy chair. The router is also downstairs because the phone cable going upstairs developed a fault and I can't be **sed to replace it - it was only used for the router, we have cordless phone handsets. I bought the wireless USB adapter to avoid having to keep the main PC switched on. If I need to do a lot of printing, I use the office PC, but for the odd letter or internet print out, it's no real problem to walk upstairs! (Ain't USB stick wonderful things - like NAS!)
edit - typo!

Is there such a thing?
I have a Canon Pixima IP3600 colour printer (I have lots of inks so do not want to change it).
Can i buy a dongle so I can connect this using wifi/bluetooth to my laptop.
I currently have to turn the PC on & use the PC as a server.
The connection to the printer is a 'D' shape plug that goes to usb on the PC, so I assume I would plug something into a floating cable.

I see things like as follows but do not know if they will work.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=108546
and
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=111515[/QUOTE]

These are bluetoothe adaptors for pc's without bluetooth, printer cannot use them.
Before buying a new wireless HP printer [£37] I left my Mac turned on [connected to printer] and anything I needed to print was printed from the mac via Teamviewer on the laptop.

Sponsored Links
Back