Add compression tee to existing pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this simple question will have been answered before but I can't find it in the forums - how do you fit a compression tee to existing solid copper pipe?
I've not cut the pipe yet but I'm guessing that there won't be enough movement in the pipes to get the ends into the fitting. Maybe there will, but I thought I'd ask if there is a trick to this first.

(First query of many).

Sponsored Links
Using the tee, mark the pipe with what needs to be cut out. Put the nuts and olives on the pipe first the the body of the tee. There usually is enough play in the pipes unless it is in a very constricted space.

if it is tight i have cut the pipe where the tee is to go then cut the pipe further along its length and fitted a straight coupling and tee, this usually gives a bit more leeway to get the tee and straight in by manipulating the pipes and the fact there are 2 cuts helps more than you would think, and if you are really clever you can file or dremel the inside of the coupling to make it a slip coupling so it fits right over one end then pulls back over the pipe when the tee has been fitted

Thanks, this is what I thought I'd probably do. You'll be hearing from me if this doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
you can get enough play with a bit of grunt. the only thing id watch out for is if there are any other comp fittings/ valves as you dont want to disturb them, one knock the wrong way and its mop and bucket time.

I'm sure this simple question will have been answered before but I can't find it in the forums - how do you fit a compression tee to existing solid copper pipe?
I've not cut the pipe yet but I'm guessing that there won't be enough movement in the pipes to get the ends into the fitting. Maybe there will, but I thought I'd ask if there is a trick to this first.

(First query of many).

Sorry, just to check - it's not a gas pipe is it?

I had a similar problem on a pipe in a paint shop where no flame could be used. I cut a couple of inches of pipe out further along slipped one of these on, connected the tee. and tightened the burst pipe repair.

21UBEHyYhhL.jpg

Job done. :)

It's just for 15mm cold water pipe.
Thanks for all of your advice. It's still a while before I'll get round to doing the job - I'm just trying to anticipate any problems I might have.

Slightly of topic, but if using ptfe on a compression joint like this, do you use it on the olive, or the thread or both? I've seen come conflicting advice.

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back