Add new light to existing circuit with addition of double switch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First time on here - so please be gentle...!!

I currently have 2 lights in the hallway running off 2 separate single switches at each of the hall - both switches turn both lights on/off. I have added a diagram of what I have currently running to both switches and to both lights. The "stars" represent sleeves - and I assume these are "switching" wires. Whilst there are no CPC's in the diagram - there are CPC's in reality - I've omitted to try and keep it clear for now!!!

Basically I want to swap the single switch to a double in "Hallway 1" and have the second switch operating a separate independent light to the porch (which is outside - but will be up in the ceiling of the porch so it's well away from the elements). I have a converted bungalow - access to above the lights/ceiling is through very tight spaces in the eaves but it's possible.

I'm pretty good at domestic electrics - adding sockets to circuits etc. but this one has me flummoxed. I think I know the answer but the consumer unit is in the garage and it's a pain running backwards and forwards so I'm hoping someone can enlighten (excuse the pun!) on this matter.

Hope you can help!

Attachments

• Lighting diagrams Sept 22 - Hallway.jpg
    Lighting diagrams Sept 22 - Hallway.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 226
Sponsored Links
So you just run a leg off the supply L & N, earth etc to supply the new outside light. If the issue is getting new cable to the double switch for the outside light, have you thought about making the porch light switched via a PIR unit?

Thanks @motorbiking - I thought it would be this... So, leg off live circuit to socket and then cable from new socket to new second switch? I've already chased/conduit the cabling again from the switch to through to the ceiling (original just sat under the plaster - again!) to allow me to feed switch cable up into eaves and over and out...

Edit* - no, would like it on - put smart bulb in and schedule lighting - so no need for PIR. It's pretty dark where I live... Next years project is lights around the property!

Sponsored Links
So, leg off live circuit
Yes, but the live circuit is at the existing light. You have no neutral at the switch.

to socket and then cable from new socket
There are no sockets involved.

You can -

Run a cable from existing light to new light and another cable from new light to switch

OR

Run a cable from existing light to new light and another cable from existing light to switch

OR

Run a cable from existing light to switch and another cable from switch to new light.

Or some modern system of wireless switches but you need to access the neutral somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back