Add single glass blocks to a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This seems to be an elusive subject on Google, as all I could find was building whole walls out of glass blocks.

I'm going to be building a small stud wall that will have glass blocks placed within it, but I am having trouble working out how to fit the blocks.

The wall will be the same thickness as the blocks (about 80mm) as I want the blocks flush on both sides.
One idea I had was to build 'boxes' with the stud work to hold the blocks. But I'm not sure how the blocks will be held in place, or how to finish the edge between the block and the plasterboard.

Is there any other ways of doing this, or is there a 'normal' method?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
You could build a timber frame and include a frame for the glass block- they are normally cemented so maybe silicone it in? Possibly make the wall 18mm thinner than the blocks so that you can plasterboard to a flush Finnish with 9mm PB
Or treat it as a double glazed unit in a wooden frame.

Hi sorry for the late reply, I did see your post the other day, I've just been mulling some things over.

You could build a timber frame and include a frame for the glass block- they are normally cemented so maybe silicone it in?
Are you suggesting to build a box withing the wall and slide the glass block into it?
That's similar to the way I was thinking, but using the stud work and noggins to form the box.

In fact I now have a thicker wall to add some glass blocks to so I'll be building a separate box for those ones.

Possibly make the wall 18mm thinner than the blocks so that you can plasterboard to a flush Finnish with 9mm PB
Or treat it as a double glazed unit in a wooden frame.

Already thought of ;) I'll be using 12.5mm plasterboard so the wall will be 25mm thinner.
But what about when the wall is plastered? Will there need to be any beading around the glass blocks?

They sell a silicone sealant to fix the blocks, but I'm not sure if it needs to go around the middle of the block, or along the front edges to hold them in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back