Add socket to ring and tidy up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like to add a 13amp socket to the existing ring mains, this is the upstairs ring and there's an old junction box where i want to insert the socket, so assumed an simple job.

TE cable '1' is about 2 metres from the RCD CU and '2' is the ongoing ring

1 Before.gif

I want to insert the socket here
2 After.gif

Should I take opportunity to replace junction with Wago 222 or junction box still sufficient given mostly everything else in the house is wired from the 80s anyway (by an untidy, probably unskilled idiot!)

Sponsored Links
Should I take opportunity to replace junction with Wago 222 or junction box still sufficient given mostly everything else in the house is wired from the 80s anyway (by an untidy, probably unskilled idiot!)
You should replace it with a "maintenance-free" junction box - several makes are available - with spring terminals and cable restraints.

You should replace it with a "maintenance-free" junction box - several makes are available - with spring terminals and cable restraints.
Thanks, I have some Wago 222 and wago junction box, assume they'd be ok or is something else preferable?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have some Wago 222 and wago junction box, assume they'd be ok or is something else preferable?
That is fine, assuming your cable is 2.5mm², your terminals are 222-412 or 222-413 and your "wago junction box" is the original wagobox or the wagobox XLA.

If you try to put three 222-415 terminals in an original wagobox you will find you don't have enough room. They would work in a wagobox XLA though.

The Wagobox 221-4 and Wagobox XL are not suitable for 222 series terminals.

The Wagobox light and Wagobox capsule are not maintainance free.

The Wagobox series are one of the most flexible series of maintinance free junction boxes, but the price you you pay for that is that you have to be careful to select the right combination of box and terminals.

Last edited:
Thanks Plugwash, I have 2.5mm² TE, Wago 222-412 and 222-413s and Wago 51008291 Junction Box to hand.

51008291 doesn't seem to return any results on Wago's site, but from some googling it seems to be an older part number for the original wagobox.

The original Wagobox is the one that has two cable entry slots at one end and two slots for terminals (222 or 773 series) at the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back