Added a socket to a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a fused spur in my bathroom which is connected to a old 1950’s wall heater. This fused spur is on its own circuit, radial, 16amp breaker.

26496C93-ABC6-4B70-A474-678B727CAF4D.jpeg

What I wanted to know is, can a add a double socket off of a fused spur?

F34AD17E-597D-47D2-B168-E561A7935D9A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot to add…… it’s ONLY going to be used for my washing machine only!

The answer to the original question is yes, you can just continue the cirucit on from the supply terminals of the spur for the heater. But unless your bathroom is as big as the one nickelback desired in 2005 then you probably can't have a socket outlet in your bathroom!

The combined current draw of the electric heater and washing machine may well be above the 16 amps that the circuit is designed to carry

Sponsored Links
Oh. I missed the fact that you have an unnecessary Fused Connector Unit; that is not a spur either.

Sorry, forgot to add…… it’s ONLY going to be used for my washing machine only!
It will be no problem at all, assuming you use the correct size cable. I would recommend 2.5mm2 cable for future proofing.

My advice is remove the plug from the washing machine and connect it to a fused spur.

sockets are not allowed within 2.5 m of a bath or shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back