Adding 2 new stockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.....

I need a bit of help with this, I want to add 2 double stockets so I can have my tv placed on the wall I am currently decorating, just hate having wires showing..
So I have channelled out the holes in the wall for the wire to run to each stocket, have bought 2.5 stocket cable and 2 socket boxes..
Now to run each socket I am running the first cable from an existing double socket with power, am I right in doing this or is there more I need to think off first before I start connecting the cables...

Any help would be grateful....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A picture or drawing of the wall may be useful for planning the routing of the cable.
It must run vertically or horizontally to or from sockets (no t (well, only one) :)).

Is the socket you wish to use for the supply on a ring circuit or a radial circuit?
What is the rating of the fuse or MCB which protects the circuit?

A picture or drawing of the wall may be useful for planning the routing of the cable.
It must run vertically or horizontally to or from sockets (no t (well, only one) :)).
Paolo - FYI: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

Is the socket you wish to use for the supply on a ring circuit or a radial circuit?
Or is it already a spur from a ring?

And is the circuit RCD protected?

And post a picture of the socket dropped down so we can see the existing wiring please.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that your diagram is on its side!

Cables routes: As you can see from the WIKI link above, cables must be run vertically or horizontally, so they cannot run outside those zones, so you need to eliminate those L shaped diversions!

Circuit. Need to know if the circuit/socket you are running from is a ring final or a radial. You cannot do as you have described with ONE cable if it is a ring final. You could if it is a radial. So, need answers to the questions above.,

Or is it already a spur from a ring?

And is the circuit RCD protected?

I am assuming that your diagram is on its side!

Cables routes: As you can see from the WIKI link above, cables must be run vertically or horizontally, so they cannot run outside those zones, so you need to eliminate those L shaped diversions!

Safe zones don't extend around corners either, so you will have to rethink the route

Hi.....i will show a pic of the existing socket this morning when i get back home.

A picture will be something to look at, but you will still need to TEST the connections to find out if it is on a ring a radial or if it is already a spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back