Adding a light and switch from exisiting light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently had a cupboard made under our stairs , not standing height just for coats and shoes etc, but is difficult to see without a light, planned to have maybe a simple pendant light, but my question is can we use cabling from existing light switch which is used for the hallway so they would be independent.

The reason is there is no power socket or light nearby without causing too much work. Hope you understand that the existing light for hallway and cupboard will be independent. I do plan to get an electrician in just wondered if its feasible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless there is a neutral supply at the switch it is not possible.

If there are only two or three wires connected to the switch then there is no neutral. The black or blue wire is NOT neutral, it is a switched live.

OK, I will open up later and take a look, its a new build house built only last year, if its more work I may run the cable myself someway from somewhere else according to electrician just to save a bit of money on running cable.

Thanks

Tell us exactly what you have at the switch. Blue wires in a connector block on their own may indicate a neutral.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the modern trend is to put all connections at the switch position instead of at the ceiling position. You may be in luck!

Unless there is a neutral supply at the switch it is not possible.

If there are only two or three wires connected to the switch then there is no neutral. The black or blue wire is NOT neutral, it is a switched live.

HI I have had a look and there is an earth into a block, then a blue nuetral into L1 and a brown live (covered with a blue sleeve) in COM, looks like I wont be able to come from here then.

you have brown sleeved blue?
the blue not neutral it is part of the switching lines.
You need a neutral and live to make the circuit.
How often is the cupboard used and what degree of lighting is required, there are battery operated solutions.

The blue.
where? I don't see no mention of a blue sleeved brown, just a brown core sleeved blue and a blue (alleged neutral, unsleeved)
HI I have had a look and there is an earth into a block, then a blue nuetral into L1 and a brown live (covered with a blue sleeve) in COM, looks like I wont be able to come from here then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back