Adding a second consumer unit or replace existing one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I allowed to add a second cosumer unit as a DIYer? (or replace the existing one?)

I want more outlets.

Also if it is allowed can you advise whats better?? i.e. replace for a bigger or add a second?? and how do you turn the live feed off?

Sponsored Links
You have just demonstrated (multiple times) why you should not attempt to undertake this piece of work yourself.

Technically yes you can do it yourself, if you buy the test equipment (££££) and notify your local Building Control department before you start so that they can conduct inspections (£££).

But you would be far better to consult 3 electricians and see what they say, and then pick the best one to do the job. It would be cheaper and you won't die or cause a house fire that way.

You have just demonstrated (multiple times) why you should not attempt to undertake this piece of work yourself.

Technically yes you can do it yourself, if you buy the test equipment (££££) and notify your local Building Control department before you start so that they can conduct inspections (£££).

But you would be far better to consult 3 electricians and see what they say, and then pick the best one to do the job. It would be cheaper and you won't die or cause a house fire that way.
Of course if I did do it I would make sure I knew how to do it! I'm not intending to do anything right now, just gain knowledge.

So, how do you deal with the live supply when switching consumer units? Is there a switch in that 'black box' that feeds the CU??

An engineer from your DNO would attend and remove the service fuse, and return again at the end of the day to re-fit it and replace the cut seals.

There are many things you can do as a DIYer, but changing a CU is certainly not one of them. You won't have the equipment necessary to test the existing or new circuits, or the protective devices you would be required to install.

Sponsored Links
An engineer from your DNO would attend and remove the service fuse, and return again at the end of the day to re-fit it and replace the cut seals.

There are many things you can do as a DIYer, but changing a CU is certainly not one of them. You won't have the equipment necessary to test the existing or new circuits, or the protective devices you would be required to install.
OK... so even technically I cant do it as a DIYer. Needs a professional

OK... so even technically I cant do it as a DIYer. Needs a professional

Technically you can, by informing Building Control before you start and paying them, buying test equipment and being competent to use it and interpret the results, and in conjunction with the DNO to remove and refit the fuse at a pre-set time (Unless you can last a few days without power).

But in reality it's not worth it, and the costs of equipment and inspection would probably be more than getting an electrician who is a certifying scheme member to do the works. And they will provide a warranty, so it's win - win really.

Isolating your supply is nothing to do with the DNO, and no need to get anyone out the remove the fuse, most supply companies (not the DNO) will fit an isolator for you, although probably at a cost. Ours quoted about 65 quid for the job and it took less than an hour.

However agreed with what you said about the CU, you need to know what you're doing first!

Isolating your supply is nothing to do with the DNO, and no need to get anyone out the remove the fuse, most supply companies (not the DNO) will fit an isolator for you, although probably at a cost. Ours quoted about 65 quid for the job and it took less than an hour.

However agreed with what you said about the CU, you need to know what you're doing first!
An isolator would be great... so you could switch off the supply, replace CU and turn it back on again. I'll contact my DNO aboutr that.

btw if I'm just doing a straight swap for a CU I fail to see where the complexity is. It's just a copy job aint it?? i.e. use the same size RCD's? not intending to add any new wiring just yet but in the future am planning to have smoke alarms and maybe an outside security light... would prefer them to be in their own circuits; hence want some extra spare slots.

Last edited:
Dear Mr vacemir. Please, PLEASE don't go on any further with this enterprise.
You do not have a clue. You won't find out how to do it on an Internet forum.

Just look at your last post. You said
isn't it just a copy job? i.e. use the same size RCD's?
They aren't RCDs. Those things with B32, B16 etc on. They are MCBs.
RCDs and MCBs do different things. You will now need RCDs too! But how many?, And where will they go? On what circuits? And why?

Recent changes to wiring regulations mean that new consumer units have very different requirements to old ones. So it is not a copy job, as you so innocently put it.

You need a registered, competent electrician to undertake this for you.

As said it's not your DNO it's your supplier.

And no it's not just a copy job, when you install a new CU every circuit has to be tested as new.

An isolator would be great... so you could switch off the supply, replace CU and turn it back on again. I'll contact my DNO aboutr that.
John did say not the DNO so you are not even understanding the simply replies here.

btw if I'm just doing a straight swap for a CU with more slots where's the complexity?
When you have the knowledge you will realise.

isn't it just a copy job? i.e. use the same size RCD's?
Do you mean RCDs?

not intending to add any new wiring just yet
No need to change the CU, then

but in the future am planning to have smoke alarms... therefore would prefer them to be in their own circuit.
Why? You can put them on the lighting circuit which is already in the right place.

You do not need a new CU just for fitting smoke alarms.

Do you do your own gas work? Why not?

Dear Mr vacemir. Please, PLEASE don't go on any further with this enterprise.
You do not have a clue. You won't find out how to do it on an Internet forum.

Just look at your last post. You said

They aren't RCDs. Those things with B32, B16 etc on. They are MCBs.
RCDs and MCBs do different things. You will now need RCDs too! But how many?, And where will they go? On what circuits? And why?

Recent changes to wiring regulations mean that new consumer units have very different requirements to old ones. So it is not a copy job, as you so innocently put it.

You need a registered, competent electrician to undertake this for you.
Ive already mentioned that atm I'm gaining knowledge... the 'you dont know anything' bullying tactics are unnecessary. I am learning and will decide whether I can do it or not at the end of my learning curve. Would you say to a learner driver 'hey forget about it, you'll end up killing someone'.

Btw I already have a modern CU and a electrical certificate which is 6 years old .

My, and the other comments above, are because we are concerned about your safety. Changing a CU is not a DIY job and not a learning environment.
You'll find the responses are robust for that reason.

Btw I already have a modern CU and a electrical certificate which is 6 years old .
But the requirements for consumer units changed in the most recent amendment to the wiring regulations (BS7671). So your CU is not modern, by today's standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back