Adding a timer to electric bathroom towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a new house and there is an electric towel rail in the bathroom.

I'd like to add a timer to it - i'm not really fussed what kind of timer and how it's set up, just the cheapest possible.

At present, it runs to a fused switched spur outside the bathroom - obviously easiest(?) option is to swap that out for a combined fused timer spur such as : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenbrook-T205-C-Fused-Switch-Connection/dp/B00L91XD2G/

However, i'd really rather not spend that much if not needed....

Presumably option 2 is to get something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Timers/Lowenergie-Digital-Immersion-Heater-programmable/B00BAB1WEG/

Or even better - a 'smart' solution
https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-pow.html
(this seems rated to 16A so should be fine...)

My question is however, with the latter two options, would I wire in before or after the spur in the circuit? (i.e. between the rad and the spur or the spur and the circuit?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Vaderag,
In response to your question "would I wire the timer before or after the spur in the circuit? (i.e. between the rad and the spur or the spur and the circuit?)"
You would wire the timer after the fused switched Spur in the Circuit (ie between the fused switched spur and the rad).
Hence this way you are isolating both the Timer and the Radiator when you switch off the fused switched spur.

Also note that although I would recommend the combined fused timer spur (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenbrook-T205-C-Fused-Switch-Connection/dp/B00L91XD2G/) as being easiest to fit, note that on both on Amazon and Screwfix it has a terrible failure rate after 6months.

SFK

Sponsored Links
Vaderag,
In response to your question "would I wire the timer before or after the spur in the circuit? (i.e. between the rad and the spur or the spur and the circuit?)"
You would wire the timer after the fused switched Spur in the Circuit (ie between the fused switched spur and the rad).
Hence this way you are isolating both the Timer and the Radiator when you switch off the fused switched spur.

Also note that although I would recommend the combined fused timer spur (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenbrook-T205-C-Fused-Switch-Connection/dp/B00L91XD2G/) as being easiest to fit, note that on both on Amazon and Screwfix it has a terrible failure rate after 6months.

SFK

Yeah, i spotted that too, another reason for my trepidation...esp given the cost. If I went that route I was planning to buy from Amazon for their customer services. Very tempted to give the sonoff a try tho... it's <£10 delivered and if they're any good may help with the rest of my home automation down the line too!

Not wishing to advertise, and more expensive there, but if there is a screwfix near you they have a very good (as in faster for you when you want radiator back on) returns policy.

Vaderag,
After reading the details of the "Sonoff Pow WiFi Switch"yep, to me that looks very interesting - fit that and tell us your thoughts on how it works. (note that it should be fitted after the Switched spur), and I would but it in a Dual box like above with a blank plate on it so I would know where to look when it goes wrong (don't leave it in the wall as you will soon forget it is there).

Just to add that I felt this is a good video showing one in operation and noting that they checked the internal relay rated at 17A at 240V (note that there seem to be some 10A modules on YouTube):

SFK

Last edited:
Vaderag,
After reading the details of the "Sonoff Pow WiFi Switch"yep, to me that looks very interesting - fit that and tell us your thoughts on how it works. (note that it should be fitted after the Switched spur), and I would but it in a Dual box like above with a blank plate on it so I would know where to look when it goes wrong (don't leave it in the wall as you will soon forget it is there).

Just to add that I felt this is a good video showing one in operation and noting that they checked the internal relay rated at 17A at 240V (note that there seem to be some 10A modules on YouTube):

SFK

Yeah - i've ordered so will let you know how it goes. The current spur is just in an external box on the drywall so will likely either fit it in the box (it's pretty deep) or just outside - it wont be forgotten!
I've def ordered the 16A one so will see how it goes!

Well my 16A one hasn't yet arrived (on it's way from China) but in the meantime I bought a couple of 10A ones from Amazon for other purposes. Attached one to a lamp today, simply pulled off the existing in line switch and whacked this in instead. It's awesome. Dead simple to set up, can control with Alexa, and is about a quarter of the price of similar products (I have a TP-Link Wall Wart that was £25 that does exactly the same job)

I have no reason the believe that the 16A one wont be just as good and do this job perfectly :)

@SFK purely cost saving - the POW was about half that price via china. There was minimal cost difference for the standard variant, hence why they came from amazon

Vaderag,
Understood. With thanks for the clarification - good to know.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back