adding a wireless sensor into the existing alarm's network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a wireless alarm config set up in my house earlier this year. I now want to add an additional wireless sensor into the network.

The alarm was set-up by a reputable company but the addition of an extra wireless PIR is coming back overly expensive.

1. Where is a good site to buy additional PIRs from?
2. Are wireless PIR sensors universal so they can link onto my wireless network?
3. I'm assuming there'll be a wireless password/key to get into the network. I can't see one on the control box or on the key-pad. Are these usually noted on the unit or would the installers only have it, forcing me to pay their higher fee.

thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links
The installers are NOT forcing you to, “pay their higher fee”, they are doing it by the book.

They, along with all professional alarm companies in the country are, in short, covering their own backs from the public interfering with the alarm.

It has happened.

An alteration in programming, be it accidental, leaves the installer open to so much if there is a problem with the system in the future that is not of his making, he did not programme it that way for one. Try proving it in a court of law.

We as professionals programme ‘engineer codes’ to, amongst other reasons, to alleviate this potential problem.

The standards to which we have to work, also do not allow us to pass over the code.

If you really want to do this yourself, you will have to cancel your contract and pay for an engineer to attend and change the ‘Engineer code’ to one of your choice.

A make and model of panel and the wireless devices you are using at present would help.

Unfortunately systems are not universal, you cant take someone else's device and put it on another system usually, the wireless systems have to be matched up.

Unfortunately the costs for alarm companies, to send someone out and put it on the system properly and to cover there liability may seem expensive but you have traveling time etc to take care of.

Sponsored Links
A wireless pir could easily cost over fifty quid and the callout charge to fit and programme it into the system will be a similar amount. Then there's the dreaded VAT at 20% so add another fifth. So a 'back of a fag packet' calculation gets you to around £150... If they've quoted you in double figures, bite their arm off! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back