Adding another 2G socket in garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of putting my WM/TD in the garage, and want to run another 2G SS from the Isolator inside. The switch is rated at 25A and has two 15A Cartridge Fuses feeding:

1 no. 4ft Flourescent Batten Fitting
1no. 2G SS Outlet
1no. 1G Light Switch.

(See pics of isolator below)

DSC05852.jpg

DSC05853.jpg

Am i risking overloading the Main Switch, or can I just tap off from one of the fuses? Alternatively, can I run some 2.5T&E from the original socket and into a new one?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
yes you could add extra socket(s) from the existing
but
have you RCD protection? possibly where it connects to the house supply.

is the lighting fuse in the garage fitted with 5A fuse wire? tho the ceramic fuse has 15A written on it it should have 5A fuse wire.

have you considered replacing that old fuse box?

yes you could add extra socket(s) from the existing
but have you RCD protection? possibly where it connects to the house supply.

Yes, it's fed from the RCD side of the house CU.

is the lighting fuse in the garage fitted with 5A fuse wire? tho the ceramic fuse has 15A written on it it should have 5A fuse wire.

No idea

have you considered replacing that old fuse box?

I have little or no money to work with, so I'm looking to leave it as is for now. If I run another socket from the existing SS, is it just a case of feeding the cable out the bottom and round the wall/down into the new SS?

in a garage you would usually run a 2.5 twin and earth cable out the top of the first socket and clip the cable upwards, then run it along the top of the wall and then down into the top of the new socket box. keep all cable entries as small as possible to avoid stuff going inside. and use earth sleeving over the bare earth wire.

Sponsored Links
I've got concrete walls which simply bend all cable clips, so can you recommend some alternatives that can be drilled in? :confused:

you can drill holes, push wall plugs in and place nail of cable clip between plug and wall and hammer in.

or use pvc mini trunking screwed to the wall.

How is the existing socket fixed to the wall?
Could you use plastic trunking and adhesive or a concrete drill with wall plugs?

Blimey, you are faster than me on keyboard.

are the walls concrete blocks?

or is it a pre-fab job made of large concrete slabs?

if it's blocks you can place the nail of the cable clip between the block and the mortar.

How is the existing socket fixed to the wall?
Could you use plastic trunking and adhesive or a concrete drill with wall plugs?

It seems to be basic brickwork, but every time the nails bend and leave holes :evil:

SA trunking sounds like a plan....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back