Adding battens to a wall with piers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall with several piers and I just want to add wooden battens similar to the photo I have attached here.

1) Could please tell me what this type of wall is called (if it has a name)

2) Also, what type of wood I need for a pro finish. I have seen a similar wall (but the battens were much smaller) where the wood was tanalised, edge rounded and of a high quality finish. It looked very smart. I would prefer a natural wood finish if possible too.

Googling has suggested C16, C24 etc but I need good quality finished wood - if possible. Some of the houses where I live have walls like this but use aluminum instead of wood. For me, this would be too expensive and tricky to implement.

When I go to buy the wood, I need to be able to talk to them as clearly as possible.

Thank you .

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
I’ve done it before using roofing battens - 50x25 green treated. Still looks decent 4 years later, although will eventually grey.
Just make sure you use enough vertical studs, as the battens will warp a bit if run for too long unsupported.

Attachments

• 6704A41E-C74A-4669-B154-F3CF7CEDB249.jpeg
    6704A41E-C74A-4669-B154-F3CF7CEDB249.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Decking, that's a great idea as it has a nice finish
I'll also investigate the roofing battens

Thank you both :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back