Battening walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve got 3 different types of wall to batten. Just wondering what the best approach is going to be (mainly which wood to get)

Wall 1:
Batten wall on single skin brick to hold 100mm insulation for garage conversion. From reading round the forums it seems 50x100 c16 is the way to go.

Wall 2:
Just a standard internal wall, not huge at about 2m wide.

Wall 3:
Similar to wall 2 but this one will need to support being tiled.

I’ll be putting on 12.5mm plasterboard for them all. Wall 3 will have moisture resistant board.

I’d appreciate any advice please. I do want it to feel sturdy but if it’s a significant price change I’m happy to check it out.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd use 4x2 treated on wall 1 and 2x1 batons on the others.
Thanks. Is that c16? I was worried about the weight of tiles for 3 and whether I should go a big bigger than 2x1?

For the garage conversion 2x2 with 50mm cover over the timber, or you may be better off constructing a 3x2 frame and place it against the wall rather than fixed to the wall and with 25mm cover.

For the others, 2x1 treated timber or tile battens.

In all cases, if on external walls, timber should be as narrow as possible and have insulation across the face.

Sponsored Links
For the garage conversion 2x2 with 50mm cover over the timber, or you may be better off constructing a 3x2 frame and place it against the wall rather than fixed to the wall and with 25mm cover.

For the others, 2x1 treated timber or tile battens.

In all cases, if on external walls, timber should be as narrow as possible and have insulation across the face.
Should probably clarify wall 1. I’m trying to keep it as thin as possible. I’ve got piers to work around too which are just over 100mm deep so leaves a little room between that and the dpm. I’ve added a photo to help.

I saw on another thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garage-conversion-wall-floor-construction-details.580470/ that they’ve done 100mm on 50x100 batons so was just going to copy that with a 30mm overlay. Would that be fine? What’s the smallest gap you can get away with between dpm and the battens?

Is 2x1 really strong enough to have porcelain tiles on it? I’ll take your word for it but does seem thin.

Is any treated wood fine or is there a specific one to go for? Didn’t realise there were so many different types. Wondering what the cheapest option is likely to be.

Am I right in assuming to have the studs at 400mm spacing if using 12.5mm plasterboard or should I space at 600mm?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• E74E84E8-1C4E-4E9E-8815-AFEFB26D6034.jpeg
    E74E84E8-1C4E-4E9E-8815-AFEFB26D6034.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Yes

The question should be whether the backing is strong enough to support the tiles, and how it is fixed to the support battens.
Plasterboard will be screwed on.

Stud wall will be screwed into joists on top and bottom.

Will 100mm and 30mm overlay be sufficient?

Out of curiosity what have building control asked for in the thickness of insulation for the external wall?

My mate had them out a few days ago, on a similar subject and was told to speak to celotex! to get the spec... they did say you can add 25mm+ to the pier though, just to stop any cold bridging.

Plasterboard will take the weight, if it's fixed properly, you can always bring the battens/studs closer together, something like 400mm centres.

You could screw PIR boards straight to the brick skin, with insulation washer, and bond the plasterboard onto the PIR board, you wouldn't need battens.

Is any treated wood fine or is there a specific one to go for? Didn’t realise there were so many different types. Wondering what the cheapest option is likely to be.
This isn't structural, so ordinary treated CLS ex-4x2 (actually c.90 x 44) will be fine. No need to wonder about structural gradings like C16
Am I right in assuming to have the studs at 400mm spacing if using 12.5mm plasterboard or should I space at 600mm?
400mm is used on commercial builds. Domestics tend to be 600mm Personally I think 400mm makes for a stiffer wall. As to whether or not 2 x 1in is strong enough, @^woody^ nailed that - it isn't the timber which is the issue, it's what's beneath it and how well it is fixed in place (e.g. 150 to 200mm screw centres as opposed to 300 or 600mm centres)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes

The question should be whether the backing is strong enough to support the tiles, and how it is fixed to the support battens.
no it’s not, You could have a sound backing , ie 12mm board fixed to a 2x1 , which , the more weight you add to it will become more and more flexible .

But if the 2 x 1 is firmly fixed to the wall below at, say 150 to 200mm centres, how could that happen? The critical thing, or so I thought, was how thoroughly you fix the batten to the substrate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back