Adding extra joist and new hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to gain as much usable space in a bedroom during a remodel. With a king sized bed in the room it is a bit of a squeeze to get past, so every inch counts :D

I am planning on adding an extra 8ft 3x8 joist so that I can move the stud wall back by 3 inches. The image below demonstrates where I am planning on adding this...

wHQW44l.jpg

My plan of action is going to be prop up the existing timber, remove the joist hangers and replace with new 150mm hangers to accommodate 2 3x8 timbers.

I have a few questions I am looking for some guidance on though...

• Are there any weight concerns with adding an extra joist?
  • Are there specific double joist hangers, or do I just go with a single one with enough width to fit in 2 timbers?
  • What are the difference between face fix hangers and ones with a strap? Why would I choose one over the other and would either be suitable in this instance?
  • Should I also bolt the joists together?
It seems like a fairly straightforward job to do but wanted to check in to see if I am missing anything.

Sponsored Links
If you're not adding any extra load, why do you need another 8x3 header? Can't you just add something like a 6x2 off bog standard face fix hangars and build the stud wall on that.

I want another 8x3 header as it will take up the extra space perfectly, there is a method to my madness :) Plus, I am unable to attach any new hangers as the existing flanges get in the way.

Sponsored Links
My main question was one of weight though, is there any weight concerns adding another 3x8 timber to the setup?

I am pretty sure all would be fine but wanted to check in with people with more experience than me to see if anyone had any concerns with regards to loading.

Personally I can't see any major issues here. TBH how much is your extra 8 x 3 going to weigh? 30kg? 40kg? Maybe 50kg? Not a lot in the grand scheme of things when you consider how much weight there will be on the floor as a whole with two adults, furniture and clothes....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back