Adding extra sockets to a ring

The software developer in me says write a piece of software that waits for the computer to signal it's shutting down. It can then fire out a command from the RS232 port to the second computer which then starts that one shutting down. Not sure how much experience you have in that area.

Alternatively, if there is some way that is a 'relay out' from the UPS you can have it short the power buttons on both machines to shut them down. Far more fun than bolting together lots of equipment...IMO.

I'm pretty sure those connectors are rated at 16A. (I'll wait to be proven wrong).

Sponsored Links
Yes, I believe I'd need to install PowerChute (APC S/W) on the host connected to the UPS and add a script to shutdown the other (using shutdown command).

The EX475 do not have a serial port, only USB & Esata

I know you can trigger the Master socket to shutdown Server 1 (via USB) and then on this Server shutting down the Slave socket would also - but will it give the 2nd Server sufficient time to shutdown or simply knock off the power?
The servers are networked, yes?

You can do anything you like with software.

Which UPS do you use?
Whatever I get my hands on as recycled ;)
I was going for an APC Smart-UPS 1500AV but am concerned how I would shutdown both Servers when battery level reaches, say 50%.

I know you can trigger the Master socket to shutdown Server 1 (via USB) and then on this Server shutting down the Slave socket would also - but will it give the 2nd Server sufficient time to shutdown or simply knock off the power? As yet unsure. I am also aware there is a network card available, which will do the job but at over £150 a tad expensive
What you do is connect the serial or USB cable to one server and install all three components of the PowerChute software on it. Just going from memory there's an agent that communicates with the UPS, another bit that deals with shutting the server down when needed, and a GUI to drive it. On the other server, you just install the shutdown bit and configure it to talk to the communications bit on the first server. When a power failure occurs, the first server communicates the status to the second so that it can shut down properly, and then the first can also shutdown - optionally turning off the UPS.

As an alternative, there is an open source package called NUT (Network UPS Tools) which is designed to support all sorts of setups.
You mention that you use an extension lead and replace the 13A plug with an IEC320 to put all the peripheral stuff on - aren't these rated to 10A not 13A? I accept that totaling up the router, switch, telephone, VSS & PCs will not reach 10A but just a thought.
It doesn't matter - the cable and socket strip are rated for 13A, but the output from the UPS is restricted to less. A 1500VA unit will only give you about 6 1/2 A.

Sponsored Links
Which UPS do you use?
Whatever I get my hands on as recycled ;) I've a 1kVA APC unit downstairs, my main servers run off a (rather old) 1.5kVA BPC unit.
I was going for an APC Smart-UPS 1500AV but am concerned how I would shutdown both Servers when battery level reaches, say 50%.

I know you can trigger the Master socket to shutdown Server 1 (via USB) and then on this Server shutting down the Slave socket would also - but will it give the 2nd Server sufficient time to shutdown or simply knock off the power? As yet unsure. I am also aware there is a network card available, which will do the job but at over £150 a tad expensive
What you do is connect the serial or USB cable to one server and install all three components of the PowerChute software on it. Just going from memory there's an agent that communicates with the UPS, another bit that deals with shutting the server down when needed, and a GUI to drive it. On the other server, you just install the shutdown bit and configure it to talk to the communications bit on the first server. When a power failure occurs, the first server communicates the status to the second so that it can shut down properly, and then the first can also shutdown - optionally turning off the UPS.

As an alternative, there is an open source package called NUT (Network UPS Tools) which is designed to support all sorts of setups.
You mention that you use an extension lead and replace the 13A plug with an IEC320 to put all the peripheral stuff on - aren't these rated to 10A not 13A? I accept that totaling up the router, switch, telephone, VSS & PCs will not reach 10A but just a thought.
It doesn't matter - the cable and socket strip are rated for 13A, but the output from the UPS is restricted to less. A 1500VA unit will only give you about 6 1/2 A.

The servers are networked, but my original idea was to only supply UPS power to the servers NOT the Router, Switch etc. in order to minimize cost.

In other words, although the Servers are networked, on power failure the network would cease to exist and therefore software scripts become useless.

I may have to keep the Router / Switch powered up and use a script. In fact, thinking about it, I'll probably have to do it as 1 of the PCs is storing the data from an IP camera 24 hrs a day and thus its hard disk is constantly spinning!

Whatever I get my hands on as recycled ;)

You don't want to recycle any my way do you?

Fair point and I won't be going higher than 1500VA anyway!

The servers are networked, but my original idea was to only supply UPS power to the servers NOT the Router, Switch etc. in order to minimize cost.

In other words, although the Servers are networked, on power failure the network would cease to exist and therefore software scripts become useless.

That's why I suggested RS232 as most have a port somewhere that isn't being used and if not it's less than £10 to get a emulated port. It's also extremely easy to write in even the most basic of computer languages.

New machines yeah....but alot of people use their old machines for servers and as I said...it's dirt cheap to add them if it hasn't already got one.
On the other hand, there is plenty of support for across the network comms - and all it takes it to plug your switch into the UPS so the network stays up. That's hardly difficult, a small switch only takes a few watts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back