Adding FCU onto radial or ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, after having fantastic help from everyone on here on a previous post ( //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=212283&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ) I thought i'd come back a ask for more help lol
Right, i'm going to install underfloor heating and eletric towel rad in bath room so will add two fused connection units - 1 for each.
My question is, as per my last thread, upstairs i now have a 16amp radial - would it be okay to add two FCU's to this circuit?
Here's a diagram

To me, that is starting to look a bit messy and possible over loaded?

I have another option which is......
Downstairs is a 30amp ring which for some reason travels upstair and then straight back down so i could take the FCU's off that ring insted?

Any ideas anyone?

many thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Dont start mixing upstairs and downstairs.

If its a 2.5mm radial on a 16A device, then I'd start to get a little worried about overloading, depending what size load the FCUs feed. I'd never feed more than 5-6 lightly loaded sockets from a 16A radial.

What wattage are the bathroom devices?

I wouldn't be mixing the cup and downs by actually mixing but do you mean by the fact upstairs appliances would be on the downstairs ring being abit confusing.

Heating matt is 150w ans the towel rad will be 150w too.

Sponsored Links
First of all, doing any electrical work in a bathroom yourself is notifiable. If you are planning to do the work yourself you will need to call your local authroity and get your wallet out, before you start any work.
See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

The circuits MUST be protected by a 30mA RCD. Are they?

Wiring regulations have very stringent requirements for underfloor heating in bathrooms. Are you aware of these?

Well, with respect, i just read your post asking about "The circuits MUST be protected by a 30mA RCD. Are they? " and just took from that.

rcd, mcd, hiv, sti, its all the same. ;)

So just to clarify I have an upstairs radial which is on a 16amp MCB and a downstairs ring is on a 30amp MCB and both of these are on a 30mA RCD protected side of a dual load consumer unit.

It will be okay to add 2 x FCU from the upstairs radial to feed a 150w heating matt and a 150w heating bit for towle rad?

Thanks for you advice and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back