adding mcb,s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i have a hager consumer unit ( 100A ) , mcb,s on it are 1x32a-cooker , 40a-shower ( not used ) , 2x10a - lighting , 2x32a - sockets , 1x20a - garage sockets , & 63a rcd - hope that makes sense , there are 3 blanks for adding extra mcb,s i presume ? , i am looking to add 1x32a for new conservatory sockets , 1x32a for hottub connection & 1x32a for weatherproof sockets , can someone please advise if this is ok - will consumer unit handle load ? , if not what do i need to check & or add - any advice would be greatly appreciated , thanks

Sponsored Links
Work out what the power's for.
What will you use the outside socket for?
What will you use the concervatory power for?

Sponsored Links
conservatory sockets - tv,sky,mobile air conditioning unit ,lamps,etc , - so thinking i might need 32a , outside sockets 2x2 doubles for garden lighting mainly - maybe 20a for that ,? i take it that mcb,s on rcd side shouldnt add up to more than 63amp rcd rating ??

Other than the air conditioner, those appliances use practically nothing.
A single 20A radial for the whole lot would be plenty.

The fact that the total of the MCBs adds up to more than 63A is of no relevance, since you won't be using anywhere near that amount of power.
What matters is the power actually used - a lot less than the ratings of the various circuits.

Other than the air conditioner, those appliances use practically nothing.
A single 20A radial for the whole lot would be plenty.

The fact that the total of the MCBs adds up to more than 63A is of no relevance, since you won't be using anywhere near that amount of power.
What matters is the power actually used - a lot less than the ratings of the various circuits.
thats brilliant advice thanks - think ive got it all in my head now - takes a while lol , thanks 2 everyone for the advice , cheers

oh , one last thing - i already have the 32a mcb,s , ok to use them or should i just get 20a ? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back