Adding PIR to lights in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my eventual success with the LED battens in my garage. Is it easy to add a motion sensor/PIR to turn them on as someone walks in to the garage?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it easy to add a motion sensor/PIR to turn them on as someone walks in to the garage?
Yes.

But what is not easy is to get them to stay on whilst that someone remains in the garage without driving-to-distraction amounts of arm waving.

Has anyone done this?
I'm sure that they have, and equally sure that at least some of them will have undone it when they can no longer stand the arm-waving.

What's wrong with a switch?

If you can put it on a switch, you can prevent it from coming on, with perhaps a second separately switched non PIR light(s), also in the garage, to avoid the above mentioned distractions.

Blup

A microwave sensor would probably be a better option than a PIR, but the problem with them is they can be too sensitive and switch 'on' even when someone/something is outside the garage. They also are not cheap so you'd need to work out how long it's take to pay for itself (if ever).

Whatever you do, it will require some fettling to get working properly and probably require a huge 'on' time allowance to stop nuisance 'off' switching. I suspect whatever you put in might not be worth the hassle. As said above, what's wrong with a switch?

Sponsored Links
I added one to my garage, but operating just one lamp to give some light to see my way to the light switches, or to drive the car in. As mentioned above, it would be very annoying if it operated the only light in the garage with the need to keep moving.

How unusual for your car not to have lights!

When I use the garage as extra covered space to work, I run my car out and park out on the drive, sometimes until after dark. A light inside the garage is more useful than powerful headlights.

Baldrick.
Yes, easy to do.
But I Simply fitted a PIR Bulkhead light in addition to the main led Barton's.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ar05...jUDc0a9NiDyY5rH4Lj0bSfxBNQDD0hIQaAgULEALw_wcB
Which I use to allow me to walk in and get stuff off shelf. Saves electricity as main lights not needed and useful when hands full and popping in and out.
Then use light switch to switch on main lights for longer jobs.
So works for me.
Sfk

Last edited:
Yes,
Simply fitted a PIR Baton light
But only used to allow me to walk in and get stuff off shelf. Saves electricity as main lights not needed and useful when hands full.
So works for me.
Sfk

I also fitted a PIR (built into switch type) in the utility room - its where the big freezer, our main pantry and washing machine is located, so we are always in and out of the there with both hands full. No problem, light comes on as you walk in and goes off soon after you leave.

Baldrick.
Yes, easy to do.
But I Simply fitted a PIR Bulkhead light in addition to the main led Barton's.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ar05...jUDc0a9NiDyY5rH4Lj0bSfxBNQDD0hIQaAgULEALw_wcB
Which I use to allow me to walk in and get stuff off shelf. Saves electricity as main lights not needed and useful when hands full and popping in and out.
So works for me.
Sfk

Thanks I will have a look at that.

EDIT - I think a PIR/Microwave that works the main lights but that could be overridden would be better for my needs.

Would LEDs being turned on and off quickly and fairly regularly shorten their lifespan?

Our garage has our extra fridge freezer, dry food and animal food. We pop in and out regularly and although I put a couple of battery operated PIR lights in there the light is not really enough and it’s a pain to have to charge the batteries..

I am aware that the light would be timed and that having to wave my arms around as I operate my bandsaw might cause the odd issue

I thought the PIR might have an override so I can have the lights on a 30 second setting or permanently on if I was working out there....

Last edited:
I also fitted a PIR (built into switch type) in the utility room - its where the big freezer, our main pantry and washing machine is located, so we are always in and out of the there with both hands full. No problem, light comes on as you walk in and goes off soon after you leave.

Does that have an override Harry? Link to what you have? Photo?

Thanks!

I
Does that have an override Harry? Link to what you have? Photo?

Thanks!

It is just a straight forward replacement for a normal switch and needs no neutral. Inside it has settings for light sensitivity and how long it stays on for, once triggered. I fitted it many years ago, so I don't have a link. It turns on a 5' tube, originally fitted with a magnetic ballast, but now converted to an electronic ballast. Try a search on ebay.

No it doesn't have an override, but it is not usually a problem where it is sited - no one would remain still for any length of time in the utility room.

I’m guessing a microwave sensor is that sensitive that even when working on stuff in the garage/workshop your not going to have a problem with it suddenly going off?

Microwave sensors react to movement of any kind, including that of people, objects, animals, trees waving in the breeze and anything else. They also work through windows, some doors and even some thin walls and ceilings. Depending on the settings, they can react to very small movements, and are used for interior lighting sensors for that reason.

PIR sensors only react to moving items that emit IR radiation, and then only if the object moves far enough to move from the area covered by one of the lens facets into another one. They should be positioned so that people move across the area covered by the sensor, rather than directly towards it.
They do not react to moving items that don't emit IR, and do not work through glass, walls or anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back