Adding sockets to downstairs ring + possible spur query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a fire taken out of our living room, that we didn't use - in place of it I'm going to wall-mount a TV. Our TV & existing home entertainment kit is in the left hand corner of our living room - with everything running off 2 x 4-gang extension leads (surge protected). It's a right mess behind the TV, so we're looking to tidy things up when we get the new TV up on the wall and a new unit to go beneath it etc.

So, one of my queries is - I'd like to add 4 x 2 gang sockets on the wall below where the TV will go. I'd then like to either have a single socket, or perhaps a FCU for the TV to be wired into (related query below), as it's a slim-line TV - the space behind the TV is limited. I think I'll be able to get away with the plug on this one -but another TV I have wall mounted, I had to wire it in as there was no room for the plug - and I didn't want it on show, as is the case with the living room. I am competent and confident (having helped my father re-wire his house & have added a couple of other sockets in another room (not kitchen/bathroom)) - however wanted to check that if this work was notifiable?

Also, the single blue socket, with the red 'cable' coming up to it - I wanted to ask if this was preferable as a spur or would it be better as a single socket as part of the ring?

Apologies on the long-winded questions - wanted to ensure I'd covered most things.

Here's a picture of the plan - the green single socket approx 3 ' away from the double is a fused connection unit - with no appliance in the load. I'm not sure why it was there, perhaps for a fire (future proofing?). Blue are the sockets I'd like to add, black existing sockets. Grey being the ceiling.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What you want to do is fine.
You could save a bit of wiring by coming from the socket on the left (replace FCU with a socket?) straight across to the socket on the right.

Having said that; four sockets in a row with plugs and cables don't look tidier than an extension lead neatly fitted and placed.

that looks fine and yes you can bring one spur off the ring

Two points:

How do you know that it IS a ring - just coz a socket has 2 cables it doesn't necessarily mean so! If it's not a ring, you could just be adding spurs on spurs which would be a problem if the fuse/breaker is 32A

Is there existing RCD protection to the circuit - if not - you need to install it

Hope this helps

SB

What you show as far as it goes is OK. But what I can't work out is what was there originally?

You are not allowed a figure of 8 with rings neither are you allowed two RCBO's or MCB's feeding the same sockets so is you are removing a link between the two sockets and replacing it with the 9 extras then it's OK but you can't just link two random sockets.

Although we would hope the existing circuit is not on the edge before you start you need to take the loop impedance readings for the centre sockets on the ring to ensure adding more will not take it over the 1.44 ohm threshold.

As already said will need RCD protection if not already in place.

If you can't measure the loop impedance the FCU may be the better option.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.

The black sockets are what are here currently. That FCU has always been there, it's in my neighbours house as well - they're not sure what it's for and have been the sole owners of their house.

Where the blue sockets are proposed to go, was a gas fire/mantle piece/hearth.

I'm planning on removing/replacing one of the cables from the left hand original double socket (as I've already had the ceiling down over that part).

I've traced the cables back to the CU, and around the house as I've had pretty much all the ceilings down - daft mistake, after tiling & decorating upstairs first :rolleyes: (under the thumb).

The sockets will be hidden by a floating unit beneath the TV (which is another reason why I wanted the extensions gone - I'll be able to leave two appliances on, that I'd like on and turn the others off).

Thinking about it, I might do away with that FCU, in green as it's a bit of an eyesore currently.

I do not have the tools to check any impedance readings, and in all honestly, I didn't know about that. I have an electrician in the family, so I will give him a bell and get him to check all is well with the plans (wanted to confirm my plans before starting anything/getting him out later).. quite enjoy DIY so like to do as much as I can myself.

thank you again :)

ETA: There's no RCD coverage, thanks for the heads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back