Adding trellis to top of close board fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to add trellis to the top of my fence and trying to think of the best way to do it to ensure it remains secure.

The fence is made of feather edge boards which have been nailed to three horizontal Arris rails, attached to the timber posts with metal brackets. The top Arris rail is about 5cm from the top of the fence. I've attached a photo so you can see what I mean (ignore the damaged wood, I'm planning to replace that!)

fence.png

Can anyone think of the best way to attach trellis (only 30cm height) to the top of this? I was thinking perhaps of attaching maybe a 75x22mm horizontal rail to the top of the fence and then attaching vertical battens at reasonable intervals from the top of the trellis to this new piece of wood, and then maybe attaching longer battens to the post.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Isee in the video, they have fitted battens to the side of the posts -which works well in their situation as the top arris rail is lower down than yours.

If that doesnt work for you, you may need to fix a batten to the face of the post and a packer behind -not as neat though.

Thanks for that video, funnily enough I did see that video when doing my research, kind of where I got the idea from.

I just screwed trellis posts into the arris rail for the one I put up, each one as close to the post as possible.

I just screwed trellis posts into the arris rail for the one I put up, each one as close to the post as possible.
Thanks, have you got a picture so I can better visualise?

Not sure, since moved house ... here you go. Not all on posts actually.

58204_THB160798_IMG_02_0000_max_656x437.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back