Adding two spur sockets to Ring Final

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating my kitchen and need two additional power outlets in a new location. However, I dont have any options to extend the ring main and can only take a spur from an existing socket. I am comfortable doing this and have done this before but my issue is that I need a spur socket above the counter top for appliances but also need a fused spur under the counter top to wire in the washing machine.

My understanding is that I can take a spur from an existing outlet for plug-in outlet and then add a 13a spur from this new plug in outlet for the washing machine?

Can anyone confirm is this would be acceptable?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The title of your post and the body of the question seem to be out of kilter.

Sorry - posted in wrong section. Updated the post now.

you cannot spur from a spur, the definition of a spur, is different to what you seem to call a spur (FCU), therfeore your extra power outlet (socket) will also be classed as a spur.
It is possible to extend a ring from just one existing socket on the ring, to incorporate an extra sockt and a FCU (spur unit )

Sponsored Links
I am comfortable doing this and have done this before but my issue is that I need a spur socket above the counter top for appliances but also need a fused spur under the counter top to wire in the washing machine.
Ok. Sort of.

My understanding is that I can take a spur from an existing outlet for plug-in outlet and then add a 13a spur from this new plug in outlet for the washing machine?
The cable is the spur; a Fused Connector Unit is not.

So - either take two spurs in 2.5mm² cable from existing socket; one to each new point, or

one spur in 4mm² from existing socket to new socket and then 2.5mm² cable to FCU.

Thank you, I've just thought this through again and may have misunderstood the role of the FCU.

Would this work instead:
1) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the existing socket and then add a FCU
2) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the FCU to the new countertop socket
3) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the new countertop socket to the below counter socket, which in itself could be another FCU to have the washing machine permanently wired in?

Would this work instead:
1) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the existing socket and then add a FCU
2) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the FCU to the new countertop socket
3) Run a 2.5mm2 cable from the new countertop socket to the below counter socket, which in itself could be another FCU to have the washing machine permanently wired in?
Yes but there is no point having an extra FCU.

I'm not sure why you want an FCU for the washing machine (I assume the space is limited) but just do as I suggested.
If you want two outlets on one spur, then you either have to have an FCU first covering both or use a larger cable which can handle 32A of the circuit.

Technically there is nothing electrically wrong with two single outlets on an unfused 2.5mm² spur but for some reason the rules say no - and people will argue that in the future someone might swap one of them for a Hadron Collider.

Yes but there is no point having an extra FCU.

I'm not sure why you want an FCU for the washing machine (I assume the space is limited) but just do as I suggested.
If you want two outlets on one spur, then you either have to have an FCU first covering both or use a larger cable which can handle 32A of the circuit.

Thanks - I'll go with having an FCU first. On a different note, I am also looking to take a spur from a separate socket for a outdoor waterproof socket. My circuit is on an RCD, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to get a garden socket with a built in RCD? Or would be ill-advised to have an RCD on a circuit already protected by an RCD?

Or would be ill-advised to have an RCD on a circuit already protected by an RCD?
Not exactly ill advised, but it's pointless. You will never know which RCD will trip, it may be both of them. You dont need an RCD socket, save your money.

Not exactly ill advised, but it's pointless. You will never know which RCD will trip, it may be both of them. You dont need an RCD socket, save your money.

Thanks. Am I ok to take a spur from an indoor socket to add a new socket in the garden? No need for an FCU as its a single spur?

add a new socket in the garden? No need for an FCU as its a single spur?

Worth considering a way to fully isolate the socket in the garden because if ( when ) the socket is damaged or becomes water logged then it will not be possible to reset the protective devices ( MCB and/or RCD ) for the ring until the socket is isolated.

Full isolation being a two pole switch ( Live and Neutral )

Hi,

I'm renovating my kitchen and need two additional power outlets in a new location. However, I dont have any options to extend the ring main and can only take a spur from an existing socket. I am comfortable doing this and have done this before but my issue is that I need a spur socket above the counter top for appliances but also need a fused spur under the counter top to wire in the washing machine.

Can anyone confirm is this would be acceptable?

You say you can't extend the ring - yet you probably CAN if you run two new cables to the existing socket on the ring.

At the existing socket on the ring, you should be able to join one old cable and one new cable in connector blocks within the back box
and
one old cable and one new cable to the socket itself.

This way you don't need that pesky FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back