Adding wall lights in Bathroom - Safety regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am adding two wall lights in my bathroom. (One either side of new medicine cabinet) She would like lots of light to clean her paws and blitz spots.

Anyway, Got all the bits to do it, will be coming of the main light rose. So they switch on and off with the main bathroom switch.

Obviously I can do this. But legally, do I need to get it checked by a qualified electrician? or someone else? What if I don't get it checked? How will anyone know that this was not done by the electrician who did the full re-wire of my house?

I am not after any abuse, would just like to know where I stand and what I should do and get checked? and by who?

Sponsored Links
If the wall is outside the zones (more than 600mm. from edge of bath/shower) then the work is not notifiable to the Local Authority.

However, the work must be carried out and tested properly to comply with part P of the Building Regulations.

Any new concealed unprotected cabling must be protected by an RCD.
Supplementary bonding may be required depending on the nature of the rest of the circuits in the location.

The cables should also be installed within the permitted safe zones when buried in walls, any chases in walls, must also comply to approved document A of building regulations.

Obviously I can do this. But legally, do I need to get it checked by a qualified electrician? or someone else?
You will require electrical test certificates, so ideally someone who is competent at test procedures and form filling.
What if I don't get it checked? How will anyone know that this was not done by the electrician who did the full re-wire of my house?
The electrician that installed the existing installation and signed the work off will know.
I am not after any abuse, would just like to know where I stand and what I should do and get checked? and by who?
If the installation of these lights are within Zone 1 or 2, then you will require notification to building controls either by you, normally tasty fee involved or by a competent electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back