Additional meter installation distribution board

Ryefield board.
You will most likely need an electrician that does industrial or commercial work to supply and install. It's not the kind of thing that domestic electricians usually do.

Sponsored Links
Just a final question - Is it not possible for a fourth 60AMP fuse to be added to the existing setup? That is what I intuitively thought when they told me it needs to be installed

Just a final question - Is it not possible for a fourth 60AMP fuse to be added to the existing setup? That is what I intuitively thought when they told me it needs to be installed

Possibly but the dno have said no,

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t rush an accept that.
that would be MCBs rather than fuses.

chint is not a respected brand

Last edited:
but I just want to make sure this will solve it?
Highly unlikely.

Anything done must be approved by the DNO. They have a very short list of approved items from an even shorter list of manufacturers.
The Ryefield unit is one option.
Another is this: https://www.lucyelectric.com/product/low-voltage-cabinets/

None of those are available in Screwfix, and it's totally unrealistic to expect this to be done for a days work and a couple of hundred quid in parts.

Ok Thanks - So this morning the electrician that originally came sent me an invoice for doing the work

He wants to replace the three fuses and install one of these CHINT NXDB 6-WAY TP & N METER READY 3-PHASE DISTRIBUTION BOARD (3872V)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chint-nx...rd/3872v#product_additional_details_container

Its a days work which is fine but I just want to make sure this will solve it?

I would say your electrician doesn’t have a clue. As others have posted, the ryefield board or the Lucy equivalent. Be prepared you will possibly have to arrange meter operators (for potentially all four meters) to reconnect their meters to this new board once it has been connected to the existing cut out by the DNO. This needs to be done in conjunction with the other flat owners, as it affects their electricity supply

Where are the 2 (relevant) consumer units in comparison to the meters

I don't understand why DNO are making such a meal of such a simple operation.
1) Simples:

2-flats-one-feed-jpg.239889

2) Only recently, may have been last year, a second cutout (with 2 fuses) was added by EDF to a house being extended and converting to 2 flats. The original C/O in what has now become a storage space has been fitted with a link and another ~ 15m of cable to a meter box containing the new double C/O, 2 meters and 2 isolators.
Excuse the crudity:
upload_2021-8-22_19-50-15.png

Last edited:
The alternative is not to get a new supply and MPAN but to use a sub-metering solution such as Landlord Metering to split the existing supply to the two flats into separate sub-meters.
It sounds like a brilliant solution... however being a private landlord I'd say NOOOOOO don't even attempt to do that. it WILL end in tears.

Where are the 2 (relevant) consumer units in comparison to the meters

I don't understand why DNO are making such a meal of such a simple operation.
1) Simples:

2-flats-one-feed-jpg.239889

2) Only recently, may have been last year, a second cutout (with 2 fuses) was added by EDF to a house being extended and converting to 2 flats. The original C/O in what has now become a storage space has been fitted with a link and another ~ 15m of cable to a meter box containing the new double C/O, 2 meters and 2 isolators.
Excuse the crudity:
View attachment 242374
This is actually very interesting and I am not sure I understand your drawing or proposal. What are you saying exactly because the DNO insist on a new ryefileld board will cost about 2k to install and won’t provide a new meter without this

Would you like to say why please. Seems very sensible actually
As a landlord I've had some problems with tenants racking up debts and leaving. Expecting a tenant to pay their landlord for their electricity WILL cause problems, expecting them to pay another tenant will create even worse problems.
This is actually very interesting and I am not sure I understand your drawing or proposal. What are you saying exactly because the DNO insist on a new ryefileld board will cost about 2k to install and won’t provide a new meter without this
You currently have this:
upload_2021-8-27_23-24-2.png
3 fuses in the service head/company fuse feeding 3 meters then 4 consumer units.
I have tried to show:
upload_2021-8-27_23-25-52.png
an additional company fuse containing 2 fuses to include the new meter. I accept it's a 'bit scrappy' but by no means wrong or unusual.

As a landlord I've had some problems with tenants racking up debts and leaving. Expecting a tenant to pay their landlord for their electricity WILL cause problems, expecting them to pay another tenant will create even worse problems.

You currently have this:View attachment 242699 3 fuses in the service head/company fuse feeding 3 meters then 4 consumer units.
I have tried to show:View attachment 242701 an additional company fuse containing 2 fuses to include the new meter. I accept it's a 'bit scrappy' but by no means wrong or unusual.

that’s true but remember that the landlord metering system is prepay which means there won’t be any bills after they leave. It’s pay as you go. Even if there were bills it would be for the tenant not myself

I understand your drawing thank you. The problem with that is oh need to have a new meter and that requires a mpan number and that requires dno which means a ryeifled board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back