Addng another pendant to 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 2 way switch at the top and bottom of the stairwell that controls the upstairs lights but no light at the foot of the stairs.

I was hoping to add a new light downstairs by adding a junction box in the ceiling space (accessible) and joining the 3 core and earth along with the new wiring for the pendant in this.

I am not to clear on how I would connect the light into this junction box (where neutral and live would sit) and hoped you could point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
You cannot do it like that.

You need to run a cable from the old lamp to the new lamp and to connect new to same terminals as old

I am not to clear on how I would connect the light into this junction box (where neutral and live would sit) and hoped you could point me in the right direction.
There will not be a neutral there.

lrblbn2w2irtw2.gif

thanks for the reply.

If I can't do it like that, any way I can come out of the switch instead. I really dont want to have to run a new cable down the stairs as I just replastered. Perhaps by using the neutral of the other switch downstairs?

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot do it from a switch (not possible).

There are no neutrals there. Study the diagram.

A wire can do anything we want it to do. They do not know what colour they are.

Sorry I meant from the neautral from the other switch (it is a 2 gang) - so neutral from switch 1 and live from switch 2

No, you cannot do it from a switch (not possible).

There are no neutrals there. Study the diagram.

You will see that all wires are brown or sleeved brown.

Just because I's blue doesn't mean I's neutral. works better with black

Sorry I meant from the neautral from the other switch (it is a 2 gang) - so neutral from switch 1 and live from switch 2

Hello!!! Anybody home????

Look at the diagram.

There are NO NO NO neutrals of any sort in the switches in your house.
The place that you will find a neutral is in the light fitting itself.

Even if there were, you would be connecting the neutral downstairs to the live from upstairs. And this is a bad naughty and unforgiveable thing to do.

re

I really dont want to have to run a new cable down the stairs as I just replastered.

To fail to plan means that you plan to fail.

Sorry, not the answer you wanted, but that's the answer.

Hi

I understand that the sheath colour doesnt define the use of the cable, there is a third cable that is in the switch (the other gang) that from what I see goes to the outside light fixing, which is what I proposed using.

I do take the point about joining neutrals over multiple floors and mcbs isnt the best idea.

Was just trying to make sure I considered any possible options before biting the bullet and putting my crash helmet on before informing SWMBO

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

I understand that the sheath colour doesnt define the use of the cable,
Good. (provisional)

there is a third cable that is in the switch (the other gang)
Don't you mean 'second'?

that from what I see goes to the outside light fixing, which is what I proposed using.
Oh, dear. Good withdrawn.
Why do you think that will be different?
It's not in the picture but does that blue not have a brown sleeve? - it should.

I do take the point about joining neutrals over multiple floors and mcbs isnt the best idea.
It is no longer allowed - is dangerous and causes RCDs to trip on both circuits.

That's where you're going wrong.

Look at these diagrams (yours is the bottom one)

You will see there are NO neutrals at any of the switches.

(Some houses are wired differently where there may be neutrals AT the switch position but NOT connected to them but yours isn't.

electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:2way_scheme_v2.jpg

there is a third cable that is in the switch (the other gang)
Don't you mean 'second'?

No, Third. 2 switch wires and 1 wire that passes through the backbox (joined by terminal strip) then on to the outside light, no brown sleeve on blue.

that from what I see goes to the outside light fixing, which is what I proposed using.
Oh, dear. Good withdrawn.
Why do you think that will be different?
It's not in the picture but does that blue not have a brown sleeve? - it should.

The second switch wire has a brown sleeve over the blue switched live, just the third cable that isnt visible as I could not get angle of the shot to show it in the low light.

It is no longer allowed - is dangerous and causes RCDs to trip on both circuits.
Understood - Was just exploring ideas.

That's where you're going wrong.
I say that to myself every day :)

Look at these diagrams (yours is the bottom one)

You will see there are NO neutrals at any of the switches.
Thanks, I understand that the blue wire is a switched live, will get chasing out tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back