ADE / Honeywell Simple set

Sponsored Links
... Mine has gone beige instead of the original white :( lol
I had to laugh at this... mine is the same. Looks like it has been in the home of a heavy smoker for 25 years! I might be forced to paint my porch magnolia to match!!

Can you still get these from somewhere then sparkymarka or is this the last one in existence?

In case anyone comes here with similar issues (there are a lot of these readers out there after all) my experience is that every so often the device 'locks up'. That is to say, it looks 'alive' as far as the LEDs go but it is both unresponsive to fobs or to status changes (i.e.day mode on/off).
As the alarm panel remains powered up all the time, I suppose one could expect this in time.
It is a bit inconvenient when you come home to disarm the panel and there is no response! All that is required is to remove the power to the reader for a few seconds. I fitted a small push-to-break switch underneath that does this. I 'reset' it this way every few weeks and have never had a problem since.
Maybe this is why an otherwise successful device was discontinued by Honeywell??

ADE Honeywell Simple Set SS/01 key fob proximity reader

Hi I’m having the same problem and it’s a pain to keep opening up the reader to reset the power. Can you share which push to break switch you purchased and how you fitted it please. Tks

Sponsored Links
Push to break.jpg

Hi I’m having the same problem and it’s a pain to keep opening up the reader to reset the power. Can you share which push to break switch you purchased and how you fitted it please. Tks

It must be a pain for you to be opening up each time, especially as that little screw on the bottom gets a bit fragile over time. By having the switch, you will tend to reset it whenever you feel like it and not just when it locks up.

I just filed out a little semicircle in one side of the lower case with a round file and fitted a very cheap little momentary push-to-break switch such as this from Ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-to-...341735?hash=item3b03d4b3a7:g:gpYAAOSwxJlaui-t

Then I simply wired it to interrupt the 12V supply wire.

I usually press it for a few seconds to let it completely power down. When it comes back on, the power light comes back immediately but it sometimes takes a few seconds for the 'status' to be shown correctly by the 'Day' and Zone LEDs. I presume the panel only sends update data quite rarely if nothing new is happening.

Not the most elaborate of solutions... but it does the job and it will hopefully extend the life of this (obsolete) useful device.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have the simple set reader and every so often it just stops recognising the fobs, have to power down the system to reset everything and it starts working again, don't even need to re-learn the fobs. I see the idea of fitting a reset switch, maybe that's the way I will go.

However the unit was originally very reliable, I have fitted lots of them in various properties over the years. I recently replaced the main panel, so I don't think the fault is there (had same problem with the old panel), so I guess its the simple set reader that is faulty and it appears you can no longer buy those.

Has anyone found the fault with the actual reader itself that causes this issue. I can repair surface mount PCB's, but before I try and debug it myself, I thought I would just check if anyone knows what causes the issue.

Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back