Adhesive for 30cm x 30cm wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to start my first tiling job and just want to be sure I've eveythign boxed off.

The tiles are 8mm ceramic wall tiles 300mm x 300mm and won't be exposed to more water than splashes. The walls have been recently skimmed and the area of the tiles has had a mist coat but i will scrape down before starting. The walls are solid walls apart from one small side which is the back of a partition wall for sliding wardrobes.

I assumed no special adhesive but I'm thinking flexible due to the possible movement on the partition wall when the wardrobes are opened and closed against the wall. I will buy ready mixed as it's my first time I'm not confident to get the consistency correct.

Also, when applying the trowel lines should the teeth touch the wall or a thin layer of adhesive still be in the lines?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
300x300mm take its a bathroom then?
rough walls up as you have said
prime walls with sbr
bagged flexi addy
mix nice thick an creamy
apply to wall with 8mm notched trowel,you will want to spread addy over about 1m2 then finish on the 45 (across) wall.
8mm notch will give you a 8mm rib then when you apply tile onto ribs twisting into the rib, will go down to 4mm..jobs a good un... ;)

Tiles are really too large/heavy for tub redi mix, you need to use a cement powder based adhesive as stated. It goes off quicker so observe the pot life & only mix up as much as you can use – usually in 30-40 minutes. With cement adhesives, the plaster must be primed with APD prior to tiling to prevent possible reaction. The stud wall will need flexible adhesive & grout so you might as well use the same product on the lot rather than buying 2 lots. Use quality trade adhesive & grout products rather than the DIY stuff which generally isn’t very good.

Tiles are really too large/heavy for tub redi mix, you need to use a cement powder based adhesive as stated. It goes off quicker so observe the pot life & only mix up as much as you can use – usually in 30-40 minutes. With cement adhesives, the plaster must be primed with SBR prior to tiling to prevent possible reaction. The stud wall will need flexible adhesive & grout so you might as well use the same product on the lot rather than buying 2 lots. Use quality trade adhesive & grout products rather than the DIY stuff which generally isn’t very good.

as above... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
THANK YOU button.. over on the right... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads! Sure there isn't a tub mix i can use? Don't want to add yet another complication to the job.

bagged flexi mate.. ;)
just jump in at the deep end...best place to learn, you will be fine, dont worry about your mix, if you soup it just add a wee bit more, the setting time will be just that wee bit longer.
after the job you will be wondering why you were nervous.. ;)

everyday is a school day.. ;) ;)

also just get your layout right, everything else will be fine bud.. ;)

NatB
the hardest thing about this trade and any other.....is getting out your BED IN THE MORNING mate... :LOL:

ok, bagged it is. Let's hope school isn't as bad as I remember:)
I'm planning on using 4mm spacers, are they big enough for tiles this size?

Depends what “look” you want really, I ceratinly would not go any wider. Wide joints look great on floors but, personally, I think thinner grout lines look far better on walls; I use 2mm spacers, even on tiles up to 600 x 600m unless wider joints are specifically requested. Most tiles have very slightly rounded or bevelled edges so the width of the finished grout lines will usually appear slightly wider than the actual spacer used. In the end it’s down to personal preference.

I often use 3mm spacers especially on tiles 600 x 300 + and in particular when lining up wall and floor tile grout joints. Also I use a particular type of spacer that doesn't snap, so it can be pulled out without breaking with the extra weight of a larger tile

How important is this SBR primer? I've been to 3 shops today (bagged weber addy bought) and none had SBR, one sold me a primer before I noticed it was basically PVA so returned it as seems to be a no no.

bal apd or any sbr..a tile shop will have them mate or try tradetiler.co.uk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back