Adhesive for 30cm x 30cm wall tiles

Plaster must be primed to avoid any reaction between Gypsum in the plaster & the cement in the adhesive. Weber (as do BAL) specifies an APD, acrylic based primer rather than SBR & the two are different. SBR is fine as a render additive/primer but I have never used it as a primer on Gypsum plaster where cement adhesive is to be used; no criticism intended but, personally, I would be inclined to stick with an APD primer. ;)

Sponsored Links
Should plaster walls be primed before tiling?

Yes.

If using BAL cement-based powdered adhesives, apply 2 coats of neat BAL Prime APD or BAL Primer or 2 coats of BAL Bond SBR diluted 1:2 with water.

If using BAL ready-mixed adhesives, priming is not necessary UNLESS the plaster is very shiny and dusty. If so, brush surface with stiff bristle brush and prime with BAL Prime APD or BAL Primer diluted 1:1 with water or BAL Bond SBR diluted 1:4 with water

Yes.

If using BAL cement-based powdered adhesives, apply 2 coats of neat BAL Prime APD or BAL Primer or 2 coats of BAL Bond SBR diluted 1:2 with water.

If using BAL ready-mixed adhesives, priming is not necessary UNLESS the plaster is very shiny and dusty. If so, brush surface with stiff bristle brush and prime with BAL Prime APD or BAL Primer diluted 1:1 with water or BAL Bond SBR diluted 1:4 with water
Doesn’t really matter a lot if it's BAL or any other of the other quality trade brands; there won't be much difference in the general formulation but you should always read the manufacturers spec. sheet. ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers again both of you. I visited another two tile shops today and couldn't get AD250 or PR360 (or whatever the codes were on the addy bag).

Eventually popped into my local B&Q and they had a unibond version of what seemed to be the same thing, that is a plaster primer for cement based adhesives.

they had a unibond version of what seemed to be the same thing, that is a plaster primer for cement based adhesives.
I wouldn’t trust their adhesive but hopefully the primer is OK; after all, ADP primer can’t be that difficult to formulate can it! :LOL: :confused:

Yes.

Doesn’t really matter a lot if it's BAL or any other of the other quality trade brands; there won't be much difference in the general formulation but you should always read the manufacturers spec. sheet. ;)

so you are saying, Building Adhesives Ltd are wrong then when they say their..
multi-purpose synthetic polymer PRIMER/admixture,
can be used as a primer to plaster walls proir to tile fixing??

Tiles are really too large/heavy for tub redi mix, you need to use a cement powder based adhesive as stated. It goes off quicker so observe the pot life & only mix up as much as you can use – usually in 30-40 minutes. With cement adhesives, the plaster must be primed with SBR prior to tiling to prevent possible reaction. The stud wall will need flexible adhesive & grout so you might as well use the same product on the lot rather than buying 2 lots. Use quality trade adhesive & grout products rather than the DIY stuff which generally isn’t very good.

??

Plaster must be primed to avoid any reaction between Gypsum in the plaster & the cement in the adhesive. Weber (as do BAL) specifies an APD, acrylic based primer rather than SBR & the two are different. SBR is fine as a render additive/primer but I have never used it as a primer on Gypsum plaster where cement adhesive is to be used; no criticism intended but, personally, I would be inclined to stick with an APD primer. ;)

??

richard c

i dont think your a silly man but could you explain these two posts... ;)

was thinking maybe you may have been giving differant advice from outside sources.. will we call them "deepthroat"..i may be wrong tho. ;)

richard c
i dont think your a silly man but could you explain these two posts... ;)
was thinking maybe you may have been giving differant advice from outside sources.. will we call them "deepthroat"..i may be wrong tho. ;)
Different advice from outside sources? “deepthroat” not sure what all that's about! Twas nothing more than a momentary lapse of concentration on my part; the ref. my reference to SBR was an error but must admit it’s a careless one to make, especially in the same thread :oops: . My apologies to the OP for any confusion & thanks for pointing it out to me; hope your pants aren’t too wet! :LOL:
so you are saying, Building Adhesives Ltd are wrong then when they say their..
multi-purpose synthetic polymer PRIMER/admixture,
can be used as a primer to plaster walls proir to tile fixing??
Don’t think I said that did I :!: BAL APD & BAL Prime are both acrylic primers & either can be used as a primer for Gypsum plaster; BAL Prime works out slightly cheaper than APD so probably more economical.

Interestingly, (to me anyway), I turned up some additional advice from BAL technical;

“If using BAL cement-based powdered adhesives, apply 2 coats of neat BAL Prime APD or BAL Primer or 2 coats of BAL Bond SBR diluted 1:2 with water.”

I didn't say you were wrong just that I had no experience of using SBR on Gypsum so wasn't sure & would be inclined to stick with an APD primer. You were right, it seems & SBR is OK; my apologies for casting doubt but no offense was intended.

Sort of makes all of the above ramblings pretty much irrelevant really.

I did wonder why I was told SBR then told not to use SBR :LOL:

SBR as far as I could tell from the packaging (weber brand) is a PVA based primer plus it's indicated use was as an additive rather than a primer. I've loads of PVA and the advice on the forum is usually not to use it so, for that reason, I was out.

I did wonder why I was told SBR then told not to use SBR :LOL:
SBR as far as I could tell from the packaging (weber brand) is a PVA based primer plus it's indicated use was as an additive rather than a primer. I've loads of PVA and the advice on the forum is usually not to use it so, for that reason, I was out.
I was a little unsure about the suitability of SBR; I’ve always gone by the BAL product info sheets & they say to use either APD Primer or BAL Prime on gypsum plaster; I then discover on another part of their technical web site, they advise SBR is OK, thinned 2:1. Again, sorry for any confusion, Tictic was right.

As far as I know PVA (PolyVinyl Acetate) is a different formulation to SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber); main difference being that conventional PVA will re-emulsify when wetted & SBR doesn’t, so it’s effectively waterproof. To make things even more confusing, you can now get a water proof PVA so god knows what's in that, I’ve never tried it.

rambling..come on ritchie was only trying to educate you ever so slightly :LOL: ..and have a laugh along the way ;)

no doubt i will post a few errors along the way and someone will point these out to me and have a wee joke to..i hope.. :LOL:

everyday is a schoolday ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back