Adhesive for 30cm x 30cm wall tiles

Sponsored Links
rambling..come on ritchie was only trying to educate you ever so slightly :LOL: ..and have a laugh along the way ;)
I meant mine rather than yours.

no doubt i will post a few errors along the way and someone will point these out to me and have a wee joke to..i hope.. :LOL:
everyday is a schoolday ;)
I’ll keep my eyes ever so very peeled :LOL:

I’ll even given you a “thanks” credit, I know how much you like them. :LOL:

Bal have only recently changed the spec advising that SBR can be used on plaster with cement based adhesive. Personally I prefer APD, SBR is just a deluxe PVA, I don't use it

Bal have only recently changed the spec advising that SBR can be used on plaster with cement based adhesive. Personally I prefer APD, SBR is just a deluxe PVA, I don't use it
Well that’s very interesting, I wonder what changed :?: or maybe nothing did :!: I’m familiar with SBR as a waterproofer in rendering but I’ve always stuck with APD as a primer for gypsum plaster when tiling, after all I'm usually responsible for that as well; thanks for that. ;)

Sponsored Links
Well, job started and a bit more testing than I thought.

Rapid set adhesive + DIY'r = Not good. Pretty much wasted my first bag, 10 min working life just not enough. My second bag of addy which is tilemaster seems to have a longer working life, plus I'm not mixing 1/4 bag a time now so things should improve :)

Cuts with a cheap cutter are improving and hopefully my next trim corner will be a lot neater.

My next corner is also to be tiled round rather than just stopping so I'm in to minds about how to do the trim. The other side of the corner is relatively narrow so what's the general practise of fitting the trim? Both trims on the same narrow side or one at the end and the other on the first part of the wall?

How do you pro's manage to actually get so many tiles up in a day when you've only got 10 mins between mixes?

There's something very wrong if you're getting 10 minutes pot life out of your adhesive......yes, that can happen during a Hot summer, not a day like today though. I was using toppfix rapidset flexy today, the Pot life was an hour.

Tile round your window (or whatever) first, then apply the trim by mitreing to the rebate and tile

The weber addy had on the bag the pot and fixing times, I was a bit of a mess the first time to say the least not helped by the addy going hard in my bucket by the time I'd cleaned up the tiles and wall (and floor!)

This second bag has advised longer working times but still only half an hour. Definitely an improvement though as I can aim to get more full tiles on now.

Pretty much wasted my first bag, 10 min working life just not enough.
I agree that there seems to be something very wrong if you’re only getting 10 minutes pot life.
How do you pro's manage to actually get so many tiles up in a day when you've only got 10 mins between mixes?
The trick is to plan your tile layout before you start, lay only full tiles first & then prepare your cut tiles individually before mixing the next batch; I number them & lay them in one hit; don’t attempt to start cutting tiles while you’ve got addy in the bucket. It may seem obvious but if your addy has a pot life of 45 mins only mix up enough adhesive that you can use within, say, 35 mins which will give you enough time to clean off your tiles & wash down your bucket & tools ready for the next batch. Always clean your bucket & tools thoroughly, leaving deposits from the previous mix will send the new mix off more quickly. How many tiles you can lay in 30 minutes rather depends on practice & experience. ;)

Dunno, will check the bag. The new stuff I've now got is workable a lot longer so at least I'm not fighting everything.

3 way corners...didn't see that one coming until I couldn't work out the cuts. :confused:

Is their any tips for these? Non of the local tile shops have 3 way corner pieces (genesis trim) and could do without a day trawling round for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back