Adhesive Trowel -Square Notch 10mm or 6mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm looking to buy all the tools I need to tile a floor.
Which would be the best?

Adhesive Trowel -Square Notch 10mm
Adhesive Trowel -Square Notch 6mm

many thanks,
Alex.

Sponsored Links
many thanks gcol.

Some guides say to put adhesive on the concrete & the tile.
On a video I watched, the adhesive was put on the floor only which looked quite a controlled way of getting the heights all correct.

any thoughts on this?

I have an area 10m2 to tile.
I am looking forward to having a go, but would like to make sure I get it right first time. Its the first thing people will see when they come into my extension :)

Alex.

The process of applying adhesive to the floor and the tile is refered to as "combined laying". Although I've never really come across a need to do this. You'll be fine just applying the adhesive to the floor - that's the accepted way of doing it.
What sort of tiles are you going to use?
Have you read the sticky at the top of the tiling forum?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the heads up on the sticky. I must admit, I missed that when I was looking :oops:
I will study it..

many thanks

You will need to butter the backs of the tiles as well as the floor if the tiles have button backs (large recessed squares / circles etc left by the die that presses the tiles at the factory). The trowel spreading thickness does depend on how flat your floor is and what tiles you are laying. For most man made tiles I would go with a 6-8mm trowel but you may need to spread the backs of the tiles to achieve good coverage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back