Adjoining wall/noise question-help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Been living in a 1849 Grade 2 listed barn conversion for 18 months now.The conversion is part of a 30 odd home development.
The noise from next door is not terrible but voices can be heard,kitchen cupboards shutting,tv,radio etc.If music is on it can be pretty loud.
I mainly notice this in our bedroom,which has original beams at 45 degrees to each other(it used to be the ceiling of the barn)which are linked together with plaster board,thus creating the separating wall.I have tried to see how the walls are constructed internally,but cant quite make it out,it looks as though between my house and our neighbours,all there is is plasterboard with a bit of loft insulation in between.Is this adequate,shouldnt there be any bricks or breeze block?I realise it would be difficult to construct due to the nature of the house but surely there must be regs to be followed?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not sure from your post what your position is. Are you renting? Owner? If so when did you buy and from whom; private sale or developer?

Basically you should not be able to hear voices at normal level from an adjoining property. If you bought from a developer you should write to them (and NHBC) immediately and let them know there is a problem with noise transmission. Ask them for a copy of the sound test certificate, which should have been carried out when the property was completed. Also ask for a copy of the specification and preferably a drawing of the party wall detail. They won't send it but ask anyway.

Sounds like the property was completed around the time the sound test reg came in so bear in mind that there is a chance it was completed under the previous reg which did not require a test. Worth asking for it anyway though.

Put every communication in writing.

Thanks for the reply.
I bought the property 18 months ago as new,bought from a developer who is still here converting more of the same kind of barns/farm buildings.
I wouldnt say i can hear voices under normal conditions,well i dont think so.I can often hear the neighbours teenager who quite often shouts or uses a raised voice.Doors shutting is also a problem,they sound like they are being slammed but this may also be because they are fairly heavy doors.
I doubt very much that the developer has any drawings at all,I think all of the coversions are being done ad-lib but that is just my prersonal opinion.I suppose there must be something?
I will also add that these buildings are not covered by an NHBC certificate,they have an Architects Certificate,from what i have read(which is little,i cant find much info) this kind of cert offers very little cover?
Thanks again,any more info much appreciated.

If you were to live in one of those modern Wimpey type terraces that you see everywhere you'll have exactly the same problems. It's pretty much impossible to stop sound travelling through a structure to an adjoining one.

Sponsored Links
If you were to live in one of those modern Wimpey type terraces that you see everywhere you'll have exactly the same problems. It's pretty much impossible to stop sound travelling through a structure to an adjoining one.

Yeah I know what you are saying,its just a shame that a building like our house,which has fantastic old,sturdy as hell brickwork is joined to next door internally with this "Wimpey" style building.
I think also,the old beams that run throughout the houses might carry sound through them.
I have bought a "White noise machine" which does work to a degree,but thats not really the point is it.

If its listed, drawings would have been submitted in the listed building application so they'll exist somewhere. More of an issue though maybe is that with regard to soundproofing (and not just sound regs), listed building application requirements very often overide building regs requirements. Its one of the downsides to owning a listed building. Don't worry about not having NHBC, thats quite common and NHBC is not much use anyway unless your house suffers from subsidence or other major problem.

I think also,the old beams that run throughout the houses might carry sound through them.

That's it exactly. It's like in the Great Escape and Papillon where they tap on the pipes to send each other messages.

That's it exactly. It's like in the Great Escape and Papillon where they tap on the pipes to send each other messages.
Papillon :?: I thought he (Henry Charriere)was kept in a prison (Reclusion)where the guards wore wrapped boots to cause no noise, and viewed the prisoners from above thru` cells with open /barred ceilings i.e the silence was part of the torture ...........But then, WTF do I know about anything :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dognuts, have you asked the people next door if they can hear you?

If they can, it may be that you can both do something to reduce the noise transmission. This website has some info and links: http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/how_to_soundproof_your_house.html[/QUOTE]

No,I havent actually asked next door if they can hear anything.In a way I didnt really want to go down that road,dont want to put the idea in their heads.To be honest we are very careful when we shut our doors,dont have a radio on at night etc,and I think its probably because we have picked up on it first.
To be honest,my wife is not so bothered about it,it is me who has become almost paranoid/obsessed with it.I lay in bed at night listening out for noise,not healthy i know but i dont seem to be able to get rid of it.
I think I am of the impression that I have bought a new house and it should be perfect :rolleyes:
In saying that,only tonight my wife said she was in the bedroom getting ready and could hear next door on the phone,even make out some of the words........dont know what to think really.

[quote="dognuts";p="750329
To be honest,my wife is not so bothered about it,it is me who has become almost paranoid/obsessed with it.I lay in bed at night listening out for noise,not healthy i know but i dont seem to be able to get rid of it.
I think I am of the impression that I have bought a new house and it should be perfect :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I don't think you're paranoid. You have every right to expect a reasonable level of soundproofing and hearing your nieighbours on the phone is not right. It would drive me mad, too. It's a shame you don't feel able to talk to your neighbours because if two households put forward a complaint, the builder is more likely to take it seriously.

Right,think im going to fill each section of cavity with some kind of sound proof insulation.I was thinking of the polystyrene beads.
Anyone recommend any kind of product that might work?

It's a perennial problem in the forum and comes up regularly, but as far as I know, no-one has ever sorted the problem. If you are in a noisy house there's little you can do about it other than move. Once you start listen for it it becomes a hundred times worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back