Reducing noise on adjoining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a 70's built semi detached.

The party wall is a bit on the thin side and can almost hear our neighbours having a discussion, we can certainly here them snoring and coughing.

I know I cannot completely soundproof the wall, but I'm hoping I can at least block out the snoring coughing and conversation, loud bangs and music will be what it will be.

I was thinking of using 50mm of rock wool and then high density plasterboard over the top, but then my dad reckons that 50mm insulation plasterboard with the foam on the back would be sufficient.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Try gypliner floor to ceiling or metal stud - either way with as few connections to the party wall as you can manage. Metal track can be further insulated by fixing using nylon frame fixings. The Tracks should be insulated from the floor, walls, ceiling using either an acoustic sealant or a good thick bead or two of silicone. Pack the void (70mm if possible) with 100mm of mineral wool, or use high density mineral wool batting. Clad front of framework with 15mm sound-block plasterboard (lilac board) laid horizontally on the framework with the joints as tight as possible (and as few pieces as possible), but make sure that there is a 2 to 5mm gap between the plasterboard and the floor/walls/ceiling. Seal the joints (scrim tape and drywall compound). Add a second layer of PB laid vertically and again with a 2 to 5mm gap all round. Fill the gap around the edges with paintable silicone. Works well. Done it on my current house and the one before. You can still hear a wee bit (transmitted along the walls mainly), but it's much better then it was. The solution takes a bit of doing (you need to be anal about the details to make it work properly) and is belt and braces.

Perfect thanks for that.

I'll get ordering it now for the new year

Sponsored Links
Tried it. It doesn't work. My own advice is (sadly) based on real world experience - no theories.

To dampen sound you need something relatively dense, like mineral wool batting or compressed Rockwool. If you could dampen sound with styrene backed PB it would be used in commercial partitioning. It isn't. Instead they use batting or mineral wool inside the partitions and false ceilings get sound proofed using mineral wool encapsulated in black polythene sacks laid loose and overlapped on top of the tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back