Stopping noise through shared wall/Soundproofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just rejoined the 20th century ;) and bought a TV after not having one for years. I live in a terraced house and my neighbours have started complaining. I don't listen to the TV loud at all but my neighbours think I must be deaf as they can hear it all.

I've been looking at this soundproofing company and wondered if anyone has used their M20AD wall soundproofing ? It seems very thin and as though it should be suitable but I was hoping for some actually user experience with the product.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Modern TVs have big speakers, which knock out a lot of bass notes and it's the booming of the bass that goes through walls and carries a long way. Your neighbours will be hearing this but not the treble notes.

If you can. try turning down the bass. Alternatively some earphones might be worth having, for use at agreed times. Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold and I would do everything to remain on good terms.

I'm looking at doing it myself as money is tight but I really don't want to reduce the size of the room too much. The M20AD seems easiest to install and thinnest and has had certified tests on its soundproofing performance which I can't find for other products.

I have got a pair of head phones for late night but when we want to sit down and watch the TV as a family and I will need the speakers on :(

The total for materials seems to be about £750 but I will need a plaster skim and painting and maybe new skirting :(

It is starting to make the TV seem quite expensive. My real question is does anyone have any experience with these products as I want to know that all the cost and inconvenience is going to pay off and mean we cam enjoy our living room properly after soundproofing the wall.

The soundproofing system I think I am going to use is M20AD thin Wall Soundproofing

Thanks,
:)

Tell us again what fully certified soundproofing product you're going to use, which also happens to be the thinnest and easiest to install in its class? Add the link again in case anyone missed it too.

Another question: are you hard of hearing? It may be that you need the volume turned up higher than most folk!

you could put a layer or two of Soudbloc plasterboard behind the TV then decorate it to match the wall. This should stop a lot of the bass going through - I used it behind a washing machine with the result that the room on the other side of the stud wall behind it now gets almost no noise coming through.

My hearing isn't great still the TV isn't particularly loud. The existing wall is a light weight aircrete(thermalite/celcon) cavity wall with plasterboard dot and dabbed on to it. Do you think just another layer of soundbloc would have good results? It would cost a lot less on materials which is appealing :D

I have found out from building control that the wall used a 'robust detail' wall and that they can be ineffective when there aren't enough 'dot and dabs' between the plasterboard and wall.

I think this is what happened as when I knock the wall it is loud and the plasterboard seems to be quite hollow sounding. I'm thinking that perhaps this should be remedied before I do anything else.

It seems a bit of a nightmare and as though my living room is going to be a complete mess for a while.

:(

Any thought?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back