Soundproofing a Victorian terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We've recently moved into a mid-terraced Victorian cottage. We can hear our neighbours talking through the walls, even when they're not talking particularly loudly (luckily they're decent neighbours).

Has anyone had a similar issue and what have you done that was effective - and at what cost?

We are planning to make significant changes to the layout in 5 or 6 years, which is when I would think about a complete soundproof solution - but is there something fairly inexpensive that can be done in the meantime.

I've noticed that the skirting boards can be pushed back against the wall, suggesting there's quite a gap behind it. It's it worth pulling these off and filling with something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- CB

Sponsored Links
Do you share loftspace with neighbours?
Can you hear next door at all levels or some rooms more than others?

Do you share loftspace with neighbours?
Can you hear next door at all levels or some rooms more than others?

We don't share loft space. We can hear them on both the ground floor and first floor.

What are your walls made of? I'm in a victorian terrace house and my walls are 22" thick front and back and at least a foot thick between terraces.

Sponsored Links
What are your walls made of? I'm in a victorian terrace house and my walls are 22" thick front and back and at least a foot thick between terraces.

I'm not 100% sure but I feel like it's just a 1 brick wall.

It's it worth pulling these off and filling with something?
Maybe.
The key is to identify where the sound is coming from - if it's a single brick wall, then gaps in it could be the cause.

A decent start would be;
Removing a section of skirting board to see if there are any gaps in the mortar between bricks.
Remove floorboard(s) along that wall as there may be gaps below the floor level, and if the joists are set into that wall, there may be gaps there as well.
Also check in the loft space above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back