ADSL Speed Info required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ADSL Speed Info required

I have currently got ADSL broadband via TalkTalk.

What I would like to know is down and upload speeds other Diynot members are getting.

If anyone wants to help by entering http://www.speedtest.net/ and replying with the figures they obtain I would be very grateful.

ADSL only please, not Fibre or Dial Up.

Tim

Sponsored Links
How about you tell us what you're getting too - and also what your ROUTER is negotiating with the exchange (log into your router to see your sync speed with the exchange).

Tim, your question is hoping to achieve?

If 1,000 people posted here with their speeds you could end up with 1,000 different answers. None would have any bearing on your particular line.

Distance you are from the exchange, condition of BT wiring, more so your internal wiring, condition and layout, will have a greater effect on your speed, and enable you to maybe increase it, than knowing everybody else's speed will do.

Tim, your question is hoping to achieve?

If 1,000 people posted here with their speeds you could end up with 1,000 different answers. None would have any bearing on your particular line.

Distance you are from the exchange, condition of BT wiring, more so your internal wiring, condition and layout, will have a greater effect on your speed, and enable you to maybe increase it, than knowing everybody else's speed will do.

Exactly.

Les know your speed, your router sync speed, and we can advise you further.

Sponsored Links
The performance of provided by my ISP

8.69 to 9.51Mbps download

0.73 to 0.78Mbps upload.

I am reliably informed the line is not stable.

I have recently switched to a business line which appears to be no better then a residential line, and from figures kindly provided by the folks on here and other forums I am getting the same or less performance.

My router is a Dray Tec Vigor2830Vn which has been configured to match the three month old ISP’s router.

Tim

I have posted this topic on other forums and will share any usful info with all those interested in this topic

That's not a bad speed. It's very average, if a tad above.

What does your draytek show as the sync speed and line stats?

My identical router shows the below:

2q1rnlg.jpg

10M down, 1.1M up. If I use a speed tester, with contention, I get figures very similar to you.

Any ISP will give you an "upto" figure indicating the maximum possible. It isn't "you will get".

For info, how is your router connected to the ADSL line? What mode is it showing (G992.5 ADSL2+ ?)

Switching to a business line makes little change other than the contention ratio being lower, and perhaps some better QOS rules being in place.

Your lines SNR margin and the loop attenuation are VERY important, and can be improved if you ave dodgy internal wiring. If your internal wiring is good (or there is none), then you cannot influence these figures, they are influenced by the BT network, old cables (old aluminium and coated steel, fig 8 drop wires etc), water ingress, dodgy joints etc. or just simply, a long line.

BT openreach are unlikely to look for issues if you obtain this speed, if it was less than a meg, perhaps.

Thanks Lectrician I will have a look for these figures, but without the bloke who does what I would call "my internal net work and configering" on site it may take till Monday/Tuesday to raise these figures.

The phone line comes in from the Telegraph pole across the street and is connector to a new master socket.

Then I have the ISP's filter connected via the ISP's wire into the Router.

From the router I have all new Cat5e bought with ready made ends from CPC Farrell who are just up the road from me, I decided to purchase these rather than make up my own to rule out any installer error's

Tim

Tim
Firstly get rid of any of the plug in microfilters and fit a filtered front plate to the nte5 master socket.

With regards to the Vigor 2830Vn router. I have been carrying out quite a few performance checks with one of those as I have been using one here and of late have been 'concerned' it is not performing as well as it should.

Over the weekend I will post up a comparison between it and my old Netgear one but using the BT performance/speed tester I can assure you that I get worse performance from the Vigor. Download is often 4 - 5 megs compared with Netgear 7 - 8. Upload with Vigor 0.12 Netgear 0.35

I have set aside time tomorrow to do some accurate comparisons prior to involving Draytek Tech. Support.

There are a number of settings on the 2830 only accessible with terminal software. What operating system do you use Tim? Do you have access to XP?

Researching on the Internet has thrown up a disturbing trend. There are numerous instances of complaints of low throughput of Vigor routers compared to many others.

I originally had issues with huge CRC errors with draytek. They send me new firmware which is not even on their support pages.

I have a netgear which I use as a fault finder on installs, where customer has no sync etc. Try this before phoning ISP, it will even show sync without login details for ISP.

May compare mine.

As others have said, it all depends on so many factors that people posting their speeds is pointless.

You would need to compare your sync speeds with your actual speeds. There will be some difference due to the overhead of TCP/IP etc but on the whole they should be in the same ballpark.

There are some VERY old cables in use in and around Preston which might not help your situation.

Give us the stats from your modem and we might be able to help further.

Is there a particular problem that you are having though? Is the connection unstable or excessively slow?

ADSL is never going to be perfect though - ADSL is amazing in itself in that it makes use of 100 year old+ cabling and pushes it beyond its limits to achieve fantastic data speeds that weren't even dreamt of.

FTTC isn't much better in that it still relies on the good old copper (or aluminium) for the last yard to the house from the cabinet!

Thanks for all the help todate.

Have not managed to get inside the Router yet.

As I drove down the street I spotted an Openreach van and saw the BT bloke on my pole, and a bit later, wrestling with a box with wires coming out of if on the floor further up the street, maybe things are looking up.

Tim

Thanks for all the help todate.

Have not managed to get inside the Router yet.

As I drove down the street I spotted an Openreach van and saw the BT bloke on my pole, and a bit later, wrestling with a box with wires coming out of if on the floor further up the street, maybe things are looking up.

Tim

Nah probably just a new provision or a new fibre product.

You haven't enlightened us with what problems you are experiencing with your current line...

To get your router stats just open a web browser on your PC and try each of these addresses in turn.

http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.2
http://192.168.2.1
http://192.168.2.2

One of them should work! lol

If they have not been changed then the username and password will both be "admin"

Then click on status top left kind of area and then 'Physical Connection'.

At the bottom you should see your ADSL stats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back