ADSL Speed Info required

Thanks for all the help todate.

Have not managed to get inside the Router yet.

As I drove down the street I spotted an Openreach van and saw the BT bloke on my pole, and a bit later, wrestling with a box with wires coming out of if on the floor further up the street, maybe things are looking up.

Tim

Nah probably just a new provision or a new fibre product.

You haven't enlightened us with what problems you are experiencing with your current line...

To get your router stats just open a web browser on your PC and try each of these addresses in turn.

http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.2
http://192.168.2.1
http://192.168.2.2

One of them should work! lol

If they have not been changed then the username and password will both be "admin"

Then click on status top left kind of area and then 'Physical Connection'.

At the bottom you should see your ADSL stats.

A much more reliable (more so than guessing) way to obtain your router IP address is Start --> (enter CMD into the "Search programs and files" box). Then type in IPCONFIG.

The router will be the address which is listed as "default gateway". For example my router is 192.168.0.1

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul,

I am aware of that but given that 95% of routers are unchanged from default then a Draytek (depending on firmware) will be on one of the 4 addresses I provided which for a novice is arguably much faster than working out how to open a command prompt and then deciphering any number of virtual and tunnelling adaptors presented to locate the correct default gateway.

The reason for my having Businesses Broadband is for a fixed ISP and no queuing for tech help.

I want a couple of Mb upload so as to adequately convey the images from my IoP Camera’s to my phone.

I was going to sign up for fiber but for reason s I wont bore you with decided not to so have ended up on what I would call a 30 day contract.

I don’t watch much TV and am not into Football so don’t want the TV packages. So I dont require loads of down load speed just reasonable upload spead.

Acording to the router screen the figures are;

ADSL firmware version 211011_A

ATM Statistics TX Cells 78407940

RX Cells 846619711

TX CRC errs 0

RX CRC errs 8110

ADSL Status Mode ADSL2+(G.992.5

UpSpeed 1020958

DownSpeed 11666209

The SNR Margin is 6

Loop Att 40

My Core2Duo Desk top runs on XP pro

My Centino2Vpro runs Vista Business (has SSD) but don’t know if the SSD makes any difference

Tim

Sponsored Links
11M down and 1M up then, with pretty good line stats.

Little or nothing to improve your speed TBH.

In fact 1meg up is pretty much the limit for the version of ADSL used in the UK and should be more than adequate for viewing IP cameras.

Paying extra for a business line really doesn't give you many, if any benefits to be honest. You have a reduced contention ratio although nowadays that is far less important than it was. Fixed IP? do you really need it? 99% of software will work with domain names rather than IP's so using a dynamic DNS service such as no-ip.org would be more cost effecient.

And the quicker access to tech support?! It's still TalkTalk you know!

The only way to get a better upload and probably download would be fibre (well to be cost effective in any case). That speed all depends on the location of you from your nearest cabinet as well, so in some cases ADSL2 can still be faster than VDSL (fibre).

For info I get ....

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s Dn 80000 Up 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s Dn 128 Up 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s Dn 108292 Up 27436
Current throughput kbit/s Dn 79976 Up 20000

I have currently got 5 IoP Camera’s and this may increase to seven. Being able to view all at once on a multi screen is my aim, either over the Internet to a hard wired laptop or via 3/4G if I am away for a few days.

For folks in my street the Fibre only goes into the exchange, then wires from there to the house.

Allen, I will get a front plate as you suggested as its worth trying every thing and anything to see if there is a removable bottleneck.

As I am on 30 Day contracts with both the mobile and the broadband/phone line I am loath to sign up to a 24month contract, especially with the recent experience with my Residential/Business ISP.

Going by what’s been said my best option may be to get the least expensive Fibre coupled with a DNS and a 4G phone/tablet.

What I like about being able to view your cameras over the net, is that in theory, friends and family can keep an eye on each others homes/motors.

Tim

All "Fibre" as it is sold isn't actually fibre to the home.

It is FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) - very briefly the DSLAM is moved from the main exchange which could be many miles away to your local street cabinet. The connection from the cabinet to your home is still the age old copper cabling only this time it is running VDSL instead of ADSL (the same thing only much much faster but only for pretty short distances).

Even replacing every inch of cabling back to the exchange is unlikely to increase your upload by any degree as it is at the limit of the current technology.

Are you viewing IP cameras directly or via some sort of PVR system? Reason I ask is that the camera themselves aren't great at compressing the feeds so are bandwidth hungry. Whereas watching an output from a PVR that will do the multiplexing and compression is likely to be more efficient.

All "Fibre" as it is sold isn't actually fibre to the home.
You should probablly replace "all" with "most" in that statement.

Openreach have mostly been pushing out a system based on fiber to the cabinet and then VDSL to the home. So you still get the "cable length lottery" but this time it's the cable length from the cabinet to your property that matters.

Virgin media run a system based on fiber to the cabinet and then cable modem technology to the house. Cable length lottery is much less of an issue with virgin because they have a higher cabinet density and because cable TV cable is a much better high frequency signal carrier than phone cable. However the cable TV infrastructure is a shared medium and is relatively poor at carrying upstream traffic (upstream for new customers was capped at 5Mbps last I checked).

Openreach have been experimenting with fiber to the premisis but afaict it's only available in pilot areas at the moment.

There are also some small providers doing fiber to the home but again there is very limited coverage.

True, I should have said most.

OpenReach are doing some trials with Fibre to the premises but it's very small scale IIRC.

There are fibre to the premises products available now and also Ethernet to the home but they are far from cheap!

Virgin are really limited on the upstream side as their whole infrastructure was developed to pipe masses of data downstream into peoples homes and not much consideration given to the other way.

VDSL in some cases can't offer much improvement over ADSL2+ if your some way from your local cabinet as BT (aswas) don't have the same number of cabs that cable threw in.

I'm lucky in that I am only 40 metres from my FTTC cabinet so pretty much get max speeds possible. (my only bottleneck being TalkTalk's backhaul network).

1Mbps should be sufficient upload to view IP cams providing you aren't trying to stream it at 720p that your cameras are capable of!

Openreach have been experimenting with fiber to the premisis but afaict it's only available in pilot areas at the moment.

I dont know of any homes with true fibre yet, but many businesses on industrial estates can usually get Fibre to the premises. Many industrial units have a fibre termination to provide the ISDN30, and the multi core fibre used can also supply internet connections, or site to site connections. A site we work at had ISDN30 bought in years ago on fibre, and recently had a 100MB connection provided using the same fibre cable, using two spare fibres (they are multicore cables).

I am aware of a few sites with connections exceeding 100MB. Mainly schools, colleges, civic centres etc. There are several around here which have a relationship with a company called Wildwest who lease some of the bandwidth at these sites to relay internet connections from there to out in the sticks via microwave and wireless technologies. I have installed some power supplies for the relay stations in the past. They have a surprising amount of rural customers.

Are you viewing IP cameras directly or via some sort of PVR system? Reason I ask is that the camera themselves aren't great at compressing the feeds so are bandwidth hungry. Whereas watching an output from a PVR that will do the multiplexing and compression is likely to be more efficient.

The short answer is that I dont really know, althougth having said that the Cat5e leaves the Camera and conects to an individual PoE Injector,

then into a Netgear 16 Port Switch,

then to the Router.

the camera is running (if thats the correct term) on H264 not Jpeg.

Tim

Using a Samsung Galaxy 3 mini over the mobile system (wifi switched off)

Have maximum signal strength according to phone display and not currently getting 3G just H. (is 3G better then H?)

I can view four camera's using the paid for version of IP Cam Viewer

This app displays four small images on the bottom of the screen and the selected image o the rest of the display, I can see the seconds ticking by on each camera when its on the main display and can do PTZ from the phone which I find amazing, although the youngsters amongst you will probable see as run of the mill.

Have just found out what matrix view means! I hadn't realise all four cameras could be viewed on the mobile at the same time.

With a very strong pairs of specs on I can make out that all the minute/seconds displays are moving,(test done at 1615h) although at peak times internet use times this may not be possible.

So I wonder if this mean a part of my kit (Router and Switch) is compressing the data being transmitted.

All the Cameras are on Cat5e back to the PoE injectors, then on to the router via the switch.

Tim

The switch is a NetGear Prosafe 16 Port 10/100 Switch FS116

Router DrayTek Vigor2830Vn

H stands for "HSDPA" which is often referred to as 3.5G in that it is a development of the 3G technology and is in theory significantly faster than 3G.

Your cameras are compressing the streams themselves if outputting H.264. I'm surprised that you seem to have just the cameras streaming to your phone as your CCTV solution. Do you not have any recording mechanism in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back