Adult high level single bed frame from MDF

It depends on the mattress, for example a memory foam mattress will perform better on a solid base and is self-ventilating.

Sponsored Links
Still nothing about the relative strengths of soft wood verses MDF though. Please be helpful next time!
And there was me thinking that I was being succinct. So...

NEITHER MDF NOR THIN WHITEWOOD (PINE) IS SUITABLE FOR THE DUTY CYCLE YOU ARE PROPOSING SO DISCUSSING THE RELATIVE STRENGTHS OF THESE MATERIALS IN THIS SITUATION IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS

I hope that is clear enough

BTW, you might like to know that at 139kg you are very much outside of the 90 percentile used to calculate listings for lifts, etc (circa 80 to 90kg average per person carried) and that above about 150kg furniture made for organisations such as the NHS is classed as being for bariatric use and therefore designs need to be destruction tested before a batch order is confirmed. Buy hey, ho, I'll go off and be unhelpful elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
And there was me thinking that I was being succinct. So...

NEITHER MDF NOR THIN WHITEWOOD (PINE) IS SUITABLE FOR THE DUTY CYCLE YOU ARE PROPOSING
Let me ask this in a clearer way....
What is the bend strength of 10mm thick pine?
What is the bend strength of 20mm thick MDF?
When both pieces are 60mm wide and 1 metre long!
What is the maximum weight to deflect each by 20mm?

Sponsored Links
Let me ask this in a clearer way....
What is the bend strength of 10mm thick pine?
What is the bend strength of 20mm thick MDF?
When both pieces are 60mm wide and 1 metre long!
What is the maximum weight to deflect each by 20mm?
a piece off mdf 1m long 20mmx60mm supported at each end will with little or no load [2 or 3 kilos] will bend and fall out i suspect within a 2 to 4 week period
as an aside you can look up a "sag calculator" to compare expected sag
random link
https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Go and Google the application Sagulator and play around with materials, sections and loadingd to get the answers on deflection. But remember that static load alone isn't the full answer - dynamic loading (e.g. someone stopping heavily into a piece of furniture) can often be 2 or 3ctimes the static loading

My super king size bed is made from 18mm mdf . No sagging , just down to the design .

My super king size bed is made from 18mm mdf . No sagging , just down to the design .
its very very easy with a low level floor supported beds where the total or most off the space underneath is flexible allowing short distances between support
where as in this instance you have a minimum 7ft/2m span where its far outside the remit off mdf in any form or thickness
indeed most low level beds i make [possibly around 20-30] are around 2mx 1m-5ft and all have 4x12mm box with 2x1" pine facings back to back boxes and end panel and are solid and you could have a barn dance on them but elevated not the same story as the span is at least double

I currently have a king size with slats using softwood at far smaller sizes than mentioned here, but there is 4 corner legs AND middle floor supports which are not wanted on a single bed that is to sit above a desk. Hence all the questions I have about elevated bed designs.

its very very easy with a low level floor supported beds where the total or most off the space underneath is flexible allowing short distances between support
where as in this instance you have a minimum 7ft/2m span where its far outside the remit off mdf in any form or thickness
indeed most low level beds i make [possibly around 20-30] are around 2mx 1m-5ft and all have 4x12mm box with 2x1" pine facings back to back boxes and end panel and are solid and you could have a barn dance on them but elevated not the same story as the span is at least double
Have no supports under bed , two single bed units with mdf sheet across top, completely open to use for storage .

thats interesting obviously computer designed :D
i certainly am still learning but mdf and bed frame in the same sentence dont fill me with trust and confidence (y)

thats interesting obviously computer designed :D
i certainly am still learning but mdf and bed frame in the same sentence dont fill me with trust and confidence (y)
I used the computer between my ears.[:))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back