Advance appliances TSD140 Thermal Store Any good?

Sponsored Links
After watching the handbags flying for the last 24 hours, I'm going to type something, but only because I reckon I had a phone conversation with the OP a couple of nights ago. Usually leave the fist fights and happy-slapping to my kids, but this looks too good to miss.

I am not a plumber. But I do have a thermal store which I'm more than happy with.
Points...from a non-heating engineer...

1. Gledhill (researched from the internet only) have circuit boards and god knows what else on them, designed to make them more efficient. Advance has nothing, other than a cylinder stat(or two). So immediately the store reliability takes a step forwards. And Gledhill plc goes t1t$ up, in a cloud of sludge and expired circuit boards presumably.

2. Your store is only 140 litres, so boiler buffering wouldn't be brilliant on the space heating, and with a coil (I'm guessing again) rather than a plate heat exchanger, hot water supply may well be dodgy in the colder months, whether Gledhill, advance or anything else. Due to the small size, and potentially small surface area on a small coil, store temp will have to be way up above an unvented or vented tank of hot water to get decent performance - again, I'm not a plumber, I'm just guessing here.

3. As it's a new-build, I'm going to guess again and I reckon the reason your home has a thermal store is because of cost, and cost alone, because performance/size and spec-wise, it's maybe not so good as a decent combi would have been? A tank of any sort plus a boiler should logically always be more expensive than just a boiler, surely, unless corners have really been cut!? Builder won't retro fit a combi because it's admitting failure and would cost a fair bit more to rip out a perfectly good system boiler than swap stores over.

If it was me, and the space was available in the airing cupboard, I'd spend extra over and above what the builder will go to, and either

1 - swap out to a combi OR bigger unvented cylinder OR

2 - spend extra on getting a bigger store, of sealed system design NOT openvented, with twin cylinder stats (those extra sensor pockets) and a better (plate not coil) hot water system

Bear in mind to repipe to fit a different brand of store will involve no more or less work than upgrading to a bigger store with better hot water performance, as all the connections are likely to be located differently on the store. And swapping to an unvented would probably be very similar cost-wise - initially.
Changing boiler to a combi would be more work, more costs, more hassle for the builder.
So I'd go with option 2 - spend a bit on top of what the builder will allow, as it won't cost him any more in ££ or in extra work to fit, but you may get a better performing, more reliable, simpler store.

There - and I never insulted anyone :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That is very odd that you "recon that you had a conversation with the OP".

The chances of a misdialed call to Essex is even smaller than winning the lottery!

I am more inclined to think that you are being economical with the truth and you PROMPTED that conversation by messaging him or something and that you know perfectly well who you were talking with!

The whole point of a thermal store in a domestic situation is to enable a better hot water flow rate than a boiler can provide.

A small boiler can thus give spectacular hot water performance.

That comes at the price of reliability and many stores have serious reliability issues, mainly leaks and scaling of those with plate HEs.

Tony

The whole point of a thermal store in a domestic situation is to enable a better hot water flow rate than a boiler can provide.

Oh NO!! The thermocouple changer is at it again!!!!

He hasn't got a clue. Stick to changing the pumps. This what a few months Corgi course gets you.

An old person like you should not be up at 0116 hrs!

Perhaps you are suffering from insomnia and have got up and wandered to your computer.

You really ought to get a dog!

You live longer if you have a pet !

You also live longer if you feel loved !

You are certainly not loved on here, but perhaps a dopey dog would love you if you took it for regular walks and gave it food once a day!

On second thoughts, perhaps it would be better if you did not get a dog !

Tony

They do fail while vented heat banks do not.

They do not fail annually as you implied, where as heat banks and thermal stores, especially the carp Gledhills, are just never ending rust buckets :mad:

You made that up and have never seen a Gledhill.

I work on loads of Gledhills around here. They go wrong so much they are better than a private pension fund:cool:

Unfortunately for me I have one of the pile of junk in my property and that is faulty at the moment as well :mad: Stick that in your googling machine and poke it, idiot.

Unlike you BB, I am out to work fitting boilers and fixing them too much to have time to fix my own rust bucket :evil:

That is very odd that you "recon that you had a conversation with the OP".

The chances of a misdialed call to Essex is even smaller than winning the lottery!

I am more inclined to think that you are being economical with the truth and you PROMPTED that conversation by messaging him or something and that you know perfectly well who you were talking with!

A small boiler can thus give spectacular hot water performance.

That comes at the price of reliability and many stores have serious reliability issues, mainly leaks and scaling of those with plate HEs.

Tony

After my store was in and working, I agreed with advance that they could use my contact details if a customer wanted to speak to someone who already had a store. Maybe they asked because I didn't just order one off them straight away, I pestered them half to death with questions first, learning a bit about heating systems on the way, from them, from here, from everywhere I could. So they know I can answer simple questions on stores, but not to the high standards of experience and knowledge of a heating engineer obviously.
140 litre store replacing a duff gledhill in a new house was the reason for the phonecall. Guy who called me did have a southern accent - essex is a possibility.
So, no, economy of truth not intended, I'm just putting 2 and 2 together.
Good point about scale - we don't have a problem with it here.

Ding. Round 2 :)

1. Gledhill (researched from the internet only) have circuit boards and god knows what else on them, designed to make them more efficient. Advance has nothing, other than a cylinder stat(or two). So immediately the store reliability takes a step forwards. And Gledhill plc goes t1t$ up, in a cloud of sludge and expired circuit boards presumably.

Gledhill still trade. parts are readily available for all models.

3. As it's a new-build, I'm going to guess again and I reckon the reason your home has a thermal store is because of cost, and cost alone, because performance/size and spec-wise, it's maybe not so good as a decent combi would have been? A tank of any sort plus a boiler should logically always be more expensive than just a boiler, surely, unless corners have really been cut!? Builder won't retro fit a combi because it's admitting failure and would cost a fair bit more to rip out a perfectly good system boiler than swap stores over.

Mains pressure thermal stores are selling point in new homes. They also eliminate cold tanks and no large copper pressure relief pipes like on unvented cylinders, which means they have to be near an outside wall. A vented thermal store can be fitted internally in house by using a tundish overflow to the drains.

Some builders fit floor mounted Worcester-Bosch Highflows in the utility rooms. Some fit Ethos 54C combis too. Builders do not like tanks and cylinders as they take up space. Airing cupboards can be very large with a small rad inside to heat - a great selling point.

Unfortunately for me I have one of the pile of junk in my property and that is faulty at the moment as well

..and you can't fix it! Well you are from Norwich.

If you quoted the full post you would see I can fix it but am too much in demand with work to have the time for fixing my own.

Nice try forum idiot, but you just keep making yourself look a bigger fool with your pathetic comments :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Of course I do, it is only going hot and cold cycling, common poor quality parts supplied by gledhill causing it as per usual :rolleyes: Still working though.

Fixed another 3 of these with this fault locally last week. Good old Gledhill, carp products keeping my pension fund topped up. At this rate Gledhill will create me a larger pension than sir fred:cool:

Idiot.

Laughing stock :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back