ADVICE ABOUT LOFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have decided to do some work on our loft and just thought before we go ahead any further with work we would lift the boards that have been laid by a previous owner to see what size the joist are, we have discovered that the original joints are 4 x 2 and have had a piece of 2 x 2 added to them making the total thickness of the joist 6 x 2. Is this what is meant to be done or has it just been a botch job and there should have been 6 x 2 joist run along side the oringinals. Also the roof struts look like they have been altered. Is is safe or not. I will try up upload a drawing to help explain. Drawing is in my album if you can view it I cannot seem to download it onto this post. //www.diynot.com/network/sandram9898/albums/

Thank you for any help. We will only be using our loft for storage but do have quite a bit to store so we want to make sure everything is correct before we go ahead and load up the loft. :confused:

Regards Sandra.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ajrobb for uploading pictures, first picture is of original roof strutt and second is how it is now, I think it has been done to make it earier to gain access, it now look like a doorway.

Sponsored Links
Ceiling joists are suitable for light storage only (less than 25 kg/m² ?). If the 2x2 was added just to allow extra insulation under the flooring, I see no problem. If you have 150mm of mineral wool insulation (U-value less than 0.35), there is no requirement to increase it to 250mm (U-value less than 0.16). However, 100mm or less might trigger rules when you replace the floor boards. (Who's to know?) See Approved Document L1B "Conservation of fuel and power" rules coming into effect October 2010, Table 3.

Well ajr has told you that your joists are good for 25 kg/m2, so how much do you want to load on to it ?

If you confirm that, maybe someone will be able to help.

I've sometimes wondered if gluing (laminating) a 2x2 to a 4x2 will make it anything like as stiff or as strong as a 6x2.
Should make it every bit as strong as long as the glue is strong enough. It's how Glu-lam beams are made. If it's not strong enough it will delaminate and you're pretty much back to square one. Probably not something you should rely on as a DIY job...

You haven't said how much weight you want to store in the loft. It is a bit worrying when you say "load up the loft" as that sounds more than the permitted light storage.

If you want to store heavy items in the loft, you probably need a structural engineer. Sometimes the upstairs lintels are too weak to take floor joists.

Anyway, it's good to see others contributing too. :)

Hi, I want to store some unused exercise equipment, treadmill, bike, rowing machine. I would also like to put our rubber swimming pool up there in the winter for storage which is quite heavy as it is 18ft x 12ft, and then just the general things like xmas decorations etc.

Hope this gives abit more information.

Thanks everyone.

Providing it is just for storage and not for use then they should be fine as long as they are spread around evenly.

Wouldn't recommend weightlifting eqpt though and remember to empty the pool first!! ;)

ajrobb";p="1926397 said:
Use the DIYnot BBCode:

Thanks for advise on storage now can I just ask if anyone has any answers for the roof strutt (I think that is what you call them, ) 1st picture is how they originally were second picture is how they are now, looks like it has been done to make access easier, sort of makes a doorway. Just want to know is this safe, otherwise we want to put it back to the original way.

Thanks you

How many trusses have been altered like this?
If only a couple then they should be ok, but if all, you need to check whether the two upright supports that have been put in to replace the diagonal braces are supported by a wall/s beneath.
If so they should be fine, but if they are only supported by the ceiling joists then part of the weight of the roof will be being carried by the joists. In this case I would suggest that you should not put any further weight onto the ceiling joists before replacing the diagonal braces.

However, if they were already like this when you bought the house, I would like to think the surveyor would have picked up on any weaknesses there may be.

Hi, there are only 2 in the whole loft and one has been altered like this, There is a joist underneath them which is much larger that the rest. The rest of loft has 6 x 2 joist and under these 2 are 8 x 4. which the large centre piece lies on. Obviously all the weigt from the centre piece is taken by this piece of 8 x 4.
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back