Advice for colleague needed quickly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A work colleague has borrowed a worktop jig and router etc from me to fit his kitchen worktops. He hasn't done them yet, but I have heard him say that he is joining solid wood worktops which have a small round top and bottom. He is going to use the mitre joint as used for post form tops but I thought I had read that there were better ways of joining wood tops, ie just taking off the rounded part off the female and putting a very small chamfer on the male etc. Just wanted to give him some advice before he dived in and used the wrong (or not the best) method. I believe there are also other problems, ie movement to ba taken into account with solid wood tops.

Sponsored Links
You're right. Solid wood expands and contracts across the grain more than it does along the grain, so the general advice is to treat a solid wood joint as that and minimise the size of the mitre. It's been discussed elsewhere in the past, such as in this thread

Tell your colleague to avoid screwing straight through the nailers/stretchers to hold the top down. The screws need to go through oversized holes to accommodate any wood movement

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back