Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am fitting solid wood worktops in my kitchen,

Just need a few pointers

Do i just use a normal worktop jig to do the joints,

And do you lot put oil on the bottom as well as the top to coat both sides

I have only one join to do, and i was just going to buy a cheap jig and a good trend cutter

Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
Solid wood worktops usually have a square edge so it's normal to just butt up to each other.
Always oil both sides of the worktop I usually oil both sides before installation. Once installed, a quick sanding on the top then re-oil.

Ok, i thought you used the jig

But i still would have to use the clamp bolts to pull the worktops together and biscuit joint them together and use a good glue

Also use the router to do the square edges

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Worktop jigs are made for postformed worktops (to create the masons mitre) As solid wood worktops don't have this rounded edge, there's no need to use a worktop jig to create the joint.
As you say, use worktop bolts and biscuits to pull the worktops together and keep them level. You still possibly need to sand the joint lightly after assembly (just to even out any slight differences in height between the two).
If the worktops have a 1/4" roundover front edge, you'll have to trim this back to get a nice straight and square edge for the join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back