Advice for drilling through a door jamb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice here and would appreciate any advice, please.

I need to drill a hole for a mains adapter for a video doorbell and would ideally like to make the hole within the red square on the jamb in the pic. I would really appreciate advice on whether this is a sensible idea and what kind of drill might be needed.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230529_200817.jpg
    20230529_200817.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Should be ok as it appears to be wood, use a wood or hss steel bit. You can clamp sacrificial pieces of timber where the drill bit emerges to reduce tear out. If you don't own a cordless drill this is the ideal opportunity to get one.

Blup

General tips for drilling holes in wall-like things between inside and outside: Drill on a slight angle so the hole runs downhill from inside to outside. When mounting the external thing apply sealant to the top and sides, but not the bottom. If the cable is to be visible and runs down the outside of the wall before passing through the wall, it helps to take it lower than the point of entry then back up to create a small U. When applying silicone sealant, pull the wire out to the outside slightly, apply sealant and then push the wire into position, taking sealant into the hole with the wire helping prevent that "splurged out" look

These tips are all intended to help prevent water from entering the property

Brilliant, thanks guys. The aim is for the cable to not be visible and just feed through the hole that will be covered by the mounted doorbell. As for protection from water, the doorway is set back under cover, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I will be getting a cordless drill for this - any minimum torque requirements for going through the wooden jamb?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I have used a Wickes 18v drill for several years now so it seems to be very reliable and considerably cheaper than a Makita where you are paying for the name.

Brilliant, thanks guys. The aim is for the cable to not be visible and just feed through the hole that will be covered by the mounted doorbell. As for protection from water, the doorway is set back under cover, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You can save yourself a lot of effort, by simply installing a modern, good quality, wireless doorbell.

where you are paying for the name.
Mmm, on some things I might be tempted to agree with you, but probably not on cordlesses; my Bosch Pro will wind screws in on day rate mode that my Aldi WorkZone "Pro Titanium" craps out on on price work mode. Given the choice between giving Wickes £96 for a 223730 (18v Brushless combi with 2x2ah batts, while battery promotion lasts) and giving Screwfix £149.99 for a DeWalt DCD778 (Also a 18v Brushless combi with 2x2ah batts, sale price) or £141 for the equivalent Bosch, I'd opt for the big name unless I was heading to a job on a particularly rough site and felt like exchanging a bit of jibing for being able to leave a battery on charge without it goong walkies

I'll be able to get a new LXT battery for my Makita tools in 20 years. What are the chances of that with some own-brand stuff?

Don't agree that with Makita you are "paying for the name". I have a cordless 14.4V Makita drill/driver and cordless impact driver, and corded circular saw, biscuit jointer, 1/4" router and reciprocating saw and all are excellent. The drill/driver is approaching 20 years old. It came with two batteries, also used for the impact driver, which are still fine - a big plus for a non-pro like me, not using them daily. I also have some Bosch blue stuff, some Bosch green, an Evolution sliding compound mitre saw and a 1980s Black and Decker corded drill, all corded. All good stuff in the main. Not saying that Aldi/Lidl/unbranded stuff isn't worth the money, but I'm happy enough to pay for good quality.

Don't agree that with Makita you are "paying for the name". I have a cordless 14.4V Makita drill/driver and cordless impact driver, and corded circular saw, biscuit jointer, 1/4" router and reciprocating saw and all are excellent.

I bought a Makita drill with 3x batteries, with light and occasional DIY use, the batteries survived just 2 years - Some four years ago, I bought cheapo Parkside from Lidl with a couple of 20v batteries, a drill and an sds - these have proven to be excellent and still not found the limit of the charge, despite lots of recent diy use.

I bought a Makita combi drill about a decade ago, after eight years service the battery gave up, I bought a pair of excellent batteries off Amazon two years ago for £46, then coincidentally pickled up another identical Makita drill with no battery for £10, now I have two ten year old drills that will probably last another decade or something.

A makita battery may or may not be around in ten tears, the brand will unlike Parkside.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back