Advice for non starting mower

Does the engine have any compression? I know it won't have much being a side valve but it should have some.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Not sure how i check that i mean i dont have anything to put in plug hole

Yep you do - your thumb (y)
Stick it over the plug hole and get someone to crank the engine over....you shouldn't be able to restrict the air escape.

Sponsored Links
Still no go....:( Any result from the compression investigation?
Is throttle being held open by the governor when in the start position?

With a finger over the hole & pulling the cord i can keep my finger there.
If anything i would say suction on my finger as opposed to blowing my finger away

Not good - the compression should blow your finger off so something isn't right there. (If you are cranking the thing fairly speedily.)
Look for oil traces around the cylinder head gasket area, and then its cylinder head removal time.

I think maybe the woodruf key broke & say damaged a valve.
A new key was fitted but didnt fix the issue.
I then take it apart to see a new key.
This still leaves the vale issue.

I suppose i just undo the 7 / 8 bolts around the plug hole & thats the head off.

Valves won't be damaged on a side valve engine - not due to flywheel faults anyway.
However, you are looking for a dislodged valve seat - holding a valve open - when the head comes off.

Head is now off.
As the barrel is horizontal i see a pool of oil at say 6 o clock.
I turn the engine over slowly by means of the blade & see the Inlet "large" valve open & as the piston goes through its cycle the inlet closes then i see the exhaust open then close.

The vales open & close fine.
The fact that there was a pool of oil does that mean rings ? if so the compression is passing the rings & going down the bore as opposed to being compressed.

That's a good diagnosis of yours....any sign of scratches or scoring on the cylinder wall that could indicate oil starvation in the past?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back