Advice: Getting pros to rerender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a detached house (converted victorian school) that has typical render on a mix of brick and breeze block. A great deal of it is cracked, blown and looks terrible. We also have damp spots in the inside walls.

I think about 1/2 the house needs to be stripped off and redone.

How do I go about this? Should I seek a building company to take on the work or seek out a plasterer? The area is pretty big and to make it harder it's been patched up in places which may be hard to get off.

My wife thinks I can get all the old render off myself then PVA the walls ready but I'd rather get the pros in to do the lot.

Where should I start?

This picture is a bit old but the all the walls to the front of the house (that bear the weather) need doing. The south and east side is in pretty good condition. Photo is taken facing south easterly.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's a big job forget the builder he's only the middleman in most cases anyway, what you need for a job like that is a plasterer/renderer that renders day in day out

Thanks. I'll get in touch with a contract plasterer in the new year. I found one in Stevenage who are very established.

Get him to break the job down to you "ie" what sand he's using what mix ratio ect its always best to know materials and method before work begins we have seen some bad jobs on here and when we have asked what sand or what mix or additives has been used most of the ops were clueless

Get at least three quotes and ask to see work they've done in the past. Loads of caravan dwellers doing that lark.

plasterer by trade. good advice above. add a mesh and waterproofer to your scratch coat to prevent cracks reoccuring due to brickwork. there are insulating methods you could consider also using modern renders but a bit more costly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back