advice & guidence fitting Yale Premium Alarm (hand holdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am hoping there are people here would be kind enough to walk me through installing this alarm. I have tried to install it and when the door was opened while the alarm was activated the siren didn't go off - although the panel did have the words Alarm Alarm Alarm Alarm across it.

Just a few words of warning - I admit right at the beginning that I am a bit think and do not know how to do DIY - I would pay for someone to do these sorts of things normally but I can't afford to now as I am off work due to ill health. I have come down with a condition that makes it painful in most joints, and have lost my strength. I suffer from brain fog and find it difficult to follow instructions manuals - although I do recognise that the ones that come with the yale alarm seem straight forward to look at and are well laid out - I know its just me. This is the reason I am asking for hand holding help.

I feel like I have done a lot on my own so far and the challenge it has given me and sense of satifaction has been great. Over that last 8 days I have managed to complete the following tasks on my own to 3 bed terrest house.

* Fitted siren to the front outside wall
* Fitted main control panel to wall in front hallway and connected up the phone line and power/charger cable
* Fitted PIR to back room and PIR to front room with supplied screws
* Havent got round to fitting the PIR for upstairs hallway
* Fitted door sensor to the front door, Back door, and back window using supplied sticky pads and or no more nails - using extra bits of wood to make relevant contacts ( the doors and windows are not flush because of double glazing)
*Bought and registered remote key fob

I would like specific troubleshooting help with why the alarm is not working - it might be something easy to fix that I did wrong.

And I would like help to understand why I have to make some sensors labeled as bugalar or entry etc on the main consol. I have made windows and door contacts as 'entry' on the main panel so that there is a door chime when the door is opened - I dont know if that is help?

Would it be better to start over again and if so can the main panel be reset and someone confirm what I need to do in the correct sequence?

Apologies if this is not the appropriate form for this level of help - please point me to the right place or move thread as needed. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As opposed to just having a quick read of the instructions again?

Ok , I am the guy you need to speak to re Yale alarms.

Firstly lets establish wether the siren has been learned in properly.

To do this hold down keys 1 and 3 on your control panel for 3 seconds.
this should initiate both the control panel siren and the external siren.
To stop the alarm press the green button and then your code.

alarm alarm alarm should be displayed , press the down arrow to clear the display.

If the control panel siren worked but not the external siren then it is not learned into the system.
if the control panel siren and the external siren haven't worked then you may have inadvertently set the sirens on a delay in the advanced menu.

Your door contacts are glued in place? If possible I would get a small drill and screw them into place as well , if the glue doesn't hold properly then the tamper springs can push them off and you will get a false alarm.

The devices have different settings depending on what you want each device to do and how you want it to behave.
burglar. A device set as burglar will activate the alarm immediately if detects while the alarm is set
Omit . A device classed as omit will be included as a burglar device when the alarm is set for a full arm (red button) but be disarmed if the alarm is set as home or part armed (orange button)
24hr A device set as 24hr will be permenently armed and will activate the alarm whenever it detects , useful for inside your caravan when parked in your drive or a cellar or shed you don't use much.
Entry . . A device set as entry will act with the entry exit delays programmed into the system before activating and is used as you know for your entry door with chime.
You have to enter the advanced menu to set the door chime mode on or off which is why I have asked wether you have accidentally delayed the siren while in there.

If the external siren didn't work but the control panel one did and you haven't accidentally delayed the siren in the advanced menu then you need to learn the siren in properly.

to do this you will need to take the siren down again.

take off the cover and switch it off.

move dip switch number one to the on position and press the learn button on the siren. There should be a weak bleep as the siren memory clears , don't worry if there isn't.
next switch on the siren. The three lights will flash and you will hear a beep. Now switch dip switch number one back off again.

On your control panel go to the advanced settings and choose learn siren.

Folllow the onscreen instructions to learn in the siren.

when finished exit the menu one level and then go to the devices menu , choose program siren and then choose siren tamper off.

You now have 1 hr to fit the siren back in place.

Have you done a walk test to ensure all devices are in range?

Anyway the above should solve the problems you have been having. It is 99.9% certain not to be faulty kit.

Sponsored Links
wow. thank you for your time. :) There is quite a lot here to go through, I shall have to break these down tomorrow and then go through them. I will report back and record the results, see where this gets to. Thanks again and good night.

Firstly lets establish wether the siren has been learned in properly.

To do this hold down keys 1 and 3 on your control panel for 3 seconds.
this should initiate both the control panel siren and the external siren.
To stop the alarm press the green button and then your code.

alarm alarm alarm should be displayed , press the down arrow to clear the display.

Carried out the test on the control panel as above and the good news is both sirens sounded. And I now know that pressing 1 and 3 is a panic alarm :) My ears have only just stopped ringing though :rolleyes:

fastalarms said:
Your door contacts are glued in place? If possible I would get a small drill and screw them into place as well , if the glue doesn't hold properly then the tamper springs can push them off and you will get a false alarm.

After trying to drill the other bits of equipment in pain I was dreading it when I got to the door/window contacts tbh. I could rip them down and dry drilling them this week if it is a risk that the contacts will not stay firm.

What do I do for doubleglazing windows and doors - Is there any particular place to install/not install them? Do I have to use a drill? Do I need to use those plastic bits inside the hole before putting in the screws?

fastalarms said:
The devices have different settings depending on what you want each device to do and how you want it to behave.
burglar. A device set as burglar will activate the alarm immediately if detects while the alarm is set
Omit . A device classed as omit will be included as a burglar device when the alarm is set for a full arm (red button) but be disarmed if the alarm is set as home or part armed (orange button)
24hr A device set as 24hr will be permenently armed and will activate the alarm whenever it detects , useful for inside your caravan when parked in your drive or a cellar or shed you don't use much.
Entry . . A device set as entry will act with the entry exit delays programmed into the system before activating and is used as you know for your entry door with chime.
You have to enter the advanced menu to set the door chime mode on or off which is why I have asked wether you have accidentally delayed the siren while in there.

I think I am getting there with this explanation. I read and re-read the instructions about this and couldn’t get it.
This is what I have:
Front door contact
Back door contact
Back window door contact
Front room PIR
Back room (kitchen diner) PIR
Upstairs hallway PIR
I think this is what I would like to do:
Front door to set the alarm off after 20 seconds (20 seconds is to give me time to get the control panel and deactivate the alarm).
Back door and back window set to sound alarm straight away – i.e no entry delay?
Both downstairs PIRs and the PIR upstairs to be’ home omit’ . part armed ( i.e. so I can road inside the house with home omit part arm is on).
Therefore, I understand then that must do the following:
Set the front door as entry
Set the back door and window as burglar
Set the 3 PIRs as omit
Is that correct?

Can I make the back door set to activate alarm immediately when in full or part armed activated mode – but when the alarm is off the back door sound the door chime?
I have each device renamed to something meaningful like ‘Front Door’ etc. When I change the device role in the edit device menu – do you always have to carry out the renaming part all over again as well or can I skip over that part by pressing a certain button?

Thanks for the assistance. I really appreciate it

Great, some more advice...

You are correct if a device (your back door) is set as a burglar device it won't chime if anyone enters when the alarm is set.
To be honest if it is your back door and you use your front door to come in and out then it is advisable to have it locked anyway.

You have set the system to work how you need it.

However I do have a slight concern.

You say all the pir sensors are omit so you can move around.
This is great except...

What happens at night?

If you have all your sensors as omit and you have one upstairs then you cant set the alarm fully when you are in bed. The only time you can set the alarm fully is when you leave the home. If someone bypasses the door and window contacts then the alarm won't activate while you are in bed.

I would take the step of putting all the pir sensors downstairs allowing you to full set the home when you are in bed.
You then have the following options.
1/ part set. for when you are at home disabling the pir sensors but leaving the door window contacts working.
2/full set for when you leave the home OR are in bed.
This activates all sensors and protects the whole of downstairs when you are in bed. You could protect upstairs with some window contacts.

You could cover your alarm control panel with your upstairs sensor instead in the downstairs hallway, just remember to have it as an entry device allthough it will cause a chime when you go past it.
If you have a worry about upstairs then you could add another sensor upstairs if you wish. maybe even a window contact instead of a pir.

Hi fastalarms,
I might have you puzzled here???? lol

You seem like the guy to ask..lol
i have a yale premium system. fitted it over the weekend. i wanted more pir's and windowe contacts so found it cheaper to purchase a basic yale system from argos. £75, 3 pir's 2 dc's and keypad. oh and also gives me an extra siren. outside back, outside front and control siren inside. great!! (cheaper than buying all seperate). all works fine apart from when i activate the system i do not get a beep/pip from either siren. this is the case when i set the system to away arm or home arm. the strobes flash but no sound. same for deactivation also, no sound?
have you come across this one before?
like i say all works fine, all sirens ring if system is activated. not a system prob a such but am puzzled as manuals and dvd say it should sound.
thanks in advance.
rich

Hi fastalarms,

i have a yale premium system. fitted it over the weekend. i wanted more pir's and windowe contacts so found it cheaper to purchase a basic yale system from argos. £75, 3 pir's 2 dc's and keypad. oh and also gives me an extra siren. outside back, outside front and control siren inside. great!! (cheaper than buying all seperate). all works fine apart from when i activate the system i do not get a beep/pip from either siren. this is the case when i set the system to away arm or home arm. the strobes flash but no sound. same for deactivation also, no sound?
like i say all works fine, all sirens ring if system is activated. not a system prob a such but am puzzled as manuals and dvd say it should sound.
thanks in advance.
rich

Hi Ritchie.
This is how the system works when the control panel is the master rather than the sirens. The thought being that you know wether the system is arming or not because you can hear the countdown bleeps from the control panel. However... do not despair because you can turn on confirmation bleeps from the sirens if you wish from the program siren menu in the control panel.

press pr . . then your pin code followed by tick.
This as you know puts you in the menu system
Now go to the devices menu and then select program siren
This is where you turned the siren tamper off when you installed the system.
In this menu is also an option to select confirm on or confirm off.
In other words confirm on will mean the exterior sirens will bleep and flash when the system arms and disarms.
Remember though that they wont bleep and flash immediately as the system will still be subject to the entry/ exit delays you have already set and will only confirm set or unset once those delays have timed out.

job done..:)

Were you aware about the door chime feature. Most clients choose this option if they are told about it. Basicaly from the advanced menu choose chime on. The control panel then sounds a beep whenever the entry exit door is opened even if the system is not armed.

Lets you know if anyone is sneaking in your door. (or out in the case of small children)

Hi fastalarms,

thanks in advance.
rich

Hi Ritchie.
This is how the system works when the control panel is the master rather than the sirens. The thought being that you know wether the system is arming or not because you can hear the countdown bleeps from the control panel. However... do not despair because you can turn on confirmation bleeps from the sirens if you wish from the program siren menu in the control panel.

press pr . . then your pin code followed by tick.
This as you know puts you in the menu system
Now go to the devices menu and then select program siren
This is where you turned the siren tamper off when you installed the system.
In this menu is also an option to select confirm on or confirm off.
In other words confirm on will mean the exterior sirens will bleep and flash when the system arms and disarms.
Remember though that they wont bleep and flash immediately as the system will still be subject to the entry/ exit delays you have already set and will only confirm set or unset once those delays have timed out.

job done..:)

if it beeps and flashes anywhere near my house you`ll have enviromental health on your doorstep 1st thing the following morning - do not do this.

if it beeps and flashes anywhere near my house you`ll have enviromental health on your doorstep 1st thing the following morning - do not do this.

All 6200 system sirens bleep and flash when activated and deactivated (two bleeps in the case of disarming).

It is a non changeable option in the case of the 6200 as when the siren is the master it is the only way to tell wether it has armed or disarmed.

I don't think environmental health would even look at it as being a problem since its only the same as most car remote blipping options. Of course you could get the council to ban car alarms too if you wanted.

If the boy wants bleep and flash confirmations then he can have them and its his choice.

Ritchie . . you do what you want mate.. :)

All 6200 system sirens bleep and flash when activated and deactivated (two bleeps in the case of disarming).

It is a non changeable option in the case of the 6200 as when the siren is the master it is the only way to tell wether it has armed or disarmed.

I don't think environmental health would even look at it as being a problem since its only the same as most car remote blipping options. Of course you could get the council to ban car alarms too if you wanted.

If the boy wants bleep and flash confirmations then he can have them and its his choice.

Ritchie . . you do what you want mate.. :)

when was the last time you heard a car alarm set? it was taken off the systems years back.

might be another reason why yale isnt a pro`s choice of system

ritchie as i said - if you live near me you`d be in court -.... do what you want mate...:)

ritchie as i said - if you live near me you`d be in court -.... do what you want mate...:)

Not a snowballs chance in a blast furness of taking that issue to the environmental peeps. A siren has to be sounding for over twenty minutes to qualify as a nuisance. Not a little beep twice a day.

You would make yourself look silly complaining about a little beep.

Not a snowballs chance in a blast furness of taking that issue to the environmental peeps. A siren has to be sounding for over twenty minutes to qualify as a nuisance. Not a little beep twice a day.

You would make yourself look silly complaining about a little beep.

Not true.

And you're happy recommending people to give that sort of indication as to when the panel hasn't been set?

There are reasons that product isn't graded

And you're happy recommending people to give that sort of indication as to when the panel hasn't been set?

Perhaps some people might want visual or audible indication that the alarm has set . Perhaps they are leaving by a rear door using a keyfob and wouldn't hear the panel beeping the exit tone?
Possibly they have hearing problems.
Car alarms flash the indicators so we know wether the alarm is on or off.
Its a peace of mind issue.
Its swings and roundabouts. it also indicates the home has a working system and will also indicate when the alarm is set. Both bonus security points.
The alarm is only going to indicate it has been unset when the homeowner is actually at home and all Yale systems have a panic feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back